If you’re a mountain biker in Cape Town then you will be stoked to hear that from 1 December this year several additional routes on Table Mountain will open to the public to cycle on. The new mountain biking environmental management programme (EMP) was revealed on Friday and it outlined several new routes.
“The additional biking trails have been identified at a number of different locations and include routes around the iconic Signal Hill and Lions Head, tracks above Camps Bay and the Newlands via Kirstenbosch and Cecilia Plantation transit route to Constantia Nek. Additional trails will also be available at Deer Park below Tafelberg Road, Groote Schuur Estate (ideal for family and recreational riders) and a Tokai to Silvermine linkage route.” [BikeHub]
That’s an old mountain biking map on the SanParks website, but they should have an updated one on December 1st and i’ll add it when they do.
Here’s some more specific info from regular mountain biker Paul Cartmel. I’ve modified his Facebook post slightly.
– Uncle Pat’s Track – Route around Lion’s Head : above Fresnaye & Clifton, which ends on The Glen Road.
– The firebreak footpath above Tamboerskloof,which runs above the German School and High Places, all the way to Kloof Nek (Not all rideable at present, some trail work required in the gullies)
– The Glen (more suitable to downhill riding than up)
– The jeep tracks above Camps Bay on the slope of Table Mountain
– The single tracks above the old quarry in Higgovale
– Jeep track in Newlands Forest that can only be accessed from the concrete path that runs next to the M5 (at Upper Cannon Rd) A gate will be installed to allow bicycle access. Very important!!!!!! Newlands Forest is a transit route only!!!!!
– Kirstenbosch trail. A brand new route, high up in Kirstenbosch which allows cyclists to cross from Newlands Forest to Cecilia Forest. Please Note! This is a transit route only!
– Cecilia Forest track to Constantia Nek. The high route from Kirstenbosch will take you along a jeep track to Constantia Nek. The lower route, along the cork oaks will also open. Please Note!These are transit routes.
Will let you know when they officially create all the new routes.
[via Paul Cartmel]