How does driving around in a brand new VW Polo sound? Yes i thought so…now keep reading because i’m gonna give one or possibly more of you the chance to get a shot at having one. You see the good folks at Volkswagen South Africa have roped me in to do a competition that involves you fine people. Come this Saturday i’ll be driving the new VW Polo around Cape Town and will be playing a Twitter game of tag with real life implications. Spot me driving the car on the predetermined route, tweet the location and you may get picked to replace me as the driver of the car. You stay in the car until someone else spots it and they take over. The people who stay in the car the longest stands the chance of winning the Polo for a year.
Now before i explain the rules in more detail let’s just take a look at what you’ll be cruising around in.
Imagine how sexy you’re gonna look in that hey. Yes please.
Right so let’s get you schooled as to how it’s gonna work. We’ll also be competing against folks up in Joburg and Durban, but i have confidence in you so i’m expecting a whole bunch of you Cape Town folks to stay in the car the longest so someone from here wins it.
- On Saturday 2nd August the new VW Polo will be driving along a predetermined route (see map below) from 10h00 – 14h00
- All you need to do is spot the New Polo along the specified route
- Once you’ve seen the New Polo, tweet the location of where you’ve spotted the car along with #PoloTag to become “IT”.
- @VolkswagenSA will respond to your tweet with #AlmostIT, informing you if you’ve been selected. The vehicle will immediately stop and you’ll have 2min to reach it (an electronic board will display your Twitter handle and a two – minute countdown clock on the top of the car. You’ll need to make your way to the New Polo
- When you start, your name will be placed on top of the New Polo and we’ll start timing you. The longer your drive the better your chance to win will be. When another tweet lands, you’ll need to stop, if someone makes it in time, your drive is over. If they take too long, you can continue with the glorious confident drive of the New Polo. Each drive will be timed and placed onto a leaderboard which can be viewed at www.polotag.co.za
- They may pick more than one tweet at the same time. If they do, it’s a foot race. The first person to the New Polo’s door is IT. If you don’t make it, you’ll need to wait till your next tweet is tagged before you have a chance to drive the New Polo again
- At the end of the competition the ten longest drives will be entered into a draw to win the New Polo for a year
Basically…Spot. Tweet. Drive. Win.
Here’s a video explaining it as well so you to make sure we’re on the same page.
Now for those of you in Cape Town coming to play #PoloTag on Saturday morning..here’s the route i’ll be driving.
It’s pretty much around Lions Head and Signal Hill, along the Atlantic Seaboard and through the CBD. Those are some of the landmarks i’ll be passing like The Green Point Stadium, the V&A Waterfront, Clifton Beach, the Mouille Point lighthouse etc. For a more detailed map of the route click HERE.
Now get involved…i really want one of you to win that car. See you Saturday.