As of August 2014, motorists in the Western Cape can expect a huge increase in the price of traffic fines. Your kak driving is gonna cost you. I don’t care how much you bitch and moan, if you get bust speeding, drinking and driving or jumping a red light then sorry for you…nobody to blame, but yourself. It’s about damn time the department of transport made the consequences of traffic violations more severe so that offenders obey the rules of the road.
Tad overloaded that bakkie. Offences for overloaded vehicles will now be changed from kilogram categories to a percent rating. If vehicles are over the 14% to 33% threshold, fines will range from R750 – R5 000 ( up fromhe old R250 and R2 500).
They have broken down offences into 3 categories. Serious offences will range from R1500 to R5000, regular offences from R1500 to R3000 and not so serious offences from R500 to R1000.
There is a whole bunch of traffic fines rates, hundreds of pages actually, but here’s a few of the increases via Wheels24.
The following fines will increase:
• Falling to stop on demand of a traffic officer R500 to R1 500
• No driving licence – R500 to R1 500, HEAVY vehicles R2 500
• No professional driving permit – R2500, and with passengers R3 000
• Unroadworthy vehicles – R1000 to R3 000
• Unroadworthy bus or minibus – R1 000 to R3 000
• Contrary to discontinue notices – R3 500
• Operator safety issues – R3 000
• Inconsiderate driving – R1 000 to R2 500
• Scholar stop – R500 to R3 000
• Level crossing – R500 to R3 000
• Normal stop – R500 to R1 500, with professional driving permit R3 000
• Bus and minibus stop – R500 to R1 500
• Disregarding bus/minibus lane – R500 to R1 500
• No overtaking line – R1 000 to R2 500 and professional driving permit R3 500
• Skipping traffic lights – R1 000 to R2 000 and R2 500 for professional driving permit
More info about the new changes via Wheels24 HERE.