No Banner to display

Gibbs autobiography exposes SA cricket, angers fans
Posted by on Oct 31st, 2010

“As explosive as my batting can be, it hasn’t quite matched the pyrotechnics of my life off the field,”

That’s a quote from the new Herschelle Gibbs autobiography, To The Point,  and other excerpts from the book have caused an uproar with stories of group sex, weed smoking and certain older players dominating the squad.

gibbstothepoint

I havn’t read it yet, but gathering from comments sections around the web it’s clear that some people still love him and are happy that he has exposed the dark side of cricket while others have lost total respect and are downright disgusted.

gibbscomments

The book contains detailed descriptions of sexual orgies HERE involving other team mates and he names a group of players who dominate the team:

“The team has been criticised for being run by a group of senior players – Graeme Smith, Jacques Kallis, Mark Boucher, and more recently, A B de Villiers,”

Mmmmm, i wonder what the other players think of the new book hey. Clearly some of his fans are not too happy, but if you follow cricket or just sport in general then you would have already known about the match-fixing, marijuana smoking and drunk driving. What did you expect..that he was gonna write a book about how they went to visit museums and played chess all night.

Please..you’re kidding yourself if you think all international sportsmen are saints. At least Herschelle has the balls to call it like it is.

What do you reckon?

mspr1nt says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

“. At least Herschelle has the balls to call it like it is.”

….that’s definitely not why I am irked. If you want to sell a book with stuff like this then you should not label it a cricketer’s autobiography. We’ve all heard the stores about the prostitutes on the plane and in the hotel rooms, about the drugs, the booze and everything else but it has no place in the scared game.

Our games has been tarnished enough over the past few years (MTN40, IPL, Pakistan)….no need for this, not now.

The fact that Majola and co are considering taking action against him which just proves that he’s struck a nerve and that’s fine but using sensationalism to sell your bio? How very Brit tabloid of you…

October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Had a long chat to someone yesterday about his book and a lot of what you said was mentioned in the conversation. His execution and timing may be suspect, but if he’s telling the truth then can you blame him. It’s the way he is and i doubt he would have wrapped the book in cotton wool just to uphold the code of conduct associated with cricket.
Going against the grain has always been his mo so i don’t see why people are suprised.

cinnamon says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Seriously, you can’t blame him, he is just THAT stupid. He proudly told the SA public that he’s never read a book before. What happens on tour, stays on tour. Stupid is as stupid does hey Hersch?

Carl says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

His cricket bat is smarter than he is. From what i’ve read he sounds like a complete idiot with no respect for women at all.

mspr1nt says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I’m not surprised. I’m annoyed that he is selling it as a cricketer’s autobiography. I don’t want to read about about hookers and booze in a cricketer’s autobiography. I might be a square (no pun intended) and a cricket tragic in that way but the book was marketed completely wrong.

Sure, Gibbs is known for being controversial and causing a stir but then he should have marketed this book as that…I read an extract from the book and nearly threw up in my mouth. It’s so poorly written, it’s embarrassing. If you want to spew bile and ‘expose the truth’ (like we didn’t know) then please don’t market it as a biography of a washed up cricketer’s bio.

His international career is over, he knew that so he had to go look for attention somewhere else. Maybe he should have tried Mills and Boon…

cinnamon says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

The tone he uses implies he’s super proud of what he’s been up to. South Africans don’t wanna know that we watched and supported someone who was drunk and stoned the night before a major international game. He has no respect for the game and the country. When you represent your country, you have an obligation, it is what it is and no amount of ‘going against the grain’ will justify it. These things could have hindered his sporting ability (especially since he’s such a volatile player). He’s relying on the ‘any press is good press’ angle. But it doesn’t make him less of a dog. Just saying.

mspr1nt says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

But we already knew that he was drunk and stoned before matches?

cinnamon says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I wonder if he’ll consider a position in government?

October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

@mspr1nt agreed, but if you were him what would you have done differently? If he had made it less controversial would it have made the front page and would we even be having this conversation.

I am by no means defending him, but from a guys perspective i am definately more curious to find out what happened behind closed doors. I already know what he has accomplished on the field. Same goes for Shane Warne or Ian Botham or any other sportsman who has excelled in their chosen sport, but have made headlines for their off their field activities.

@cinnamon i can pretty much guarantee he’s proud of what he’s been up to. Why is it that you don’t wanna know that he was drunk or stoned before a big game? Does his performance on the field make it less significant if he manages to score a ton. Selectors worldwide have issues with sportmen doing dumb shit off the field,but do you trust in their skill or do you cater to public opinion?

I would rather have a dude with a drinking/hooker/weed problem who is scoring hundreds play than have a useless scrumhalf with a KFC addiction make the springbok squad. Just saying.

mspr1nt says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I would not have marketed sensationalist smut as a my autobiography. I’d have just said, look, here is how it goes, the truth revealed kinda vibe…not ‘biography’.

cinnamon says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Yes true. But I think what irritates me is that he is proud of it. Seriously, as a writer I can tell you that the tone of the blurbs I’ve read ooze arrogance and pride. So let’s do a quick recap of H’s history:

Drunken driving – very good.
Physical fight with a woman. Awesome.
Drugs. Yes please.
Booze. Woo hoo!
Strippers/Orgies. All in a day’s work.
Stupidity. I know, why don’t a write a book and tell SA what a dog I am.
Salary received for playing for his country. Huge
Batting. Let me see how inconsistent I can be.

Enjoyed this debate Savage.
Ps you rock.

mspr1nt says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

You what irritates me more than this?
The fact that the SA public will gobble it up like thirsty little school girls at their first free booze party.

Herschelle says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Can you let me know when and where that party is? Sounds like my kinda place

October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Bwaaaah! That right there is comment of the year. I salute you.

cinnamon says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Bwahahaha classic! Now that’s comedy right there.

Mr Happy says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Damn, missed my calling – didn’t realise I could have played for SA..!!!

Drunken driving – tick
Physical fight with a woman – does mud wrestling count?
Drugs – tick
Booze – tick
Strippers/orgies – tick
Stupidity – tick
Salary – cross
Batting – tick

So close, just missing the salary… I coulda been a contender…

p.s. Would also like to know where that party is… just saying…

cinnamon says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

High five Mr Happy, that’s some funny shiz! Ah guys, it’s been emotional, at times inappropriate, but all in all a good lol. Over and out peeps.

rush says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Just read the book, ur guys comments r wack! Shame poor cinnamon, shes mentioning everything about what gibbs has done wrong, n not what hes done right,yet she’s wasting her time and effort to mention what she thinks. . like he cares??!

6 sixes in 6 balls in world cup – world record
famous 438 game – amazing century
won ipl with deccan chargers. 2 name a few . . . . . .

Its called to the point 4 a reason, he says what he wants to and he can. His fans want to know more about his life and yeah its wriiten in the book. Dont analyse it, like a critic for the bad writing, Its not a novel. Gibbs is 1 of the best cricketers in SA history and its about his expressions in his personal and professional sporting career.

GIBBS IS A LEGEND!

shiveshni says:
October 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

hey does anyone know if this book is aviable as a free ebook download? really want to read it