• How to get Pokemon Go on you Android or iPhone in South Africa
    Posted by on Jul 11th, 2016

Ok so if you havn’t been living under a rock for the past week then you will have seen the name Pokemon Go on social media or in the news. The new Pokemon app for smartphones has experienced a meteoric rise, gaining as many active users as Twitter in the few days since it’s launch and Nintendo has seen close to a 30% increase in share price. It uses geolocation and maps on your device and you can see Pokemon in the real world by going out to find them and capturing them using the camera. Yep it’s actually making kids go outside.

Anyways…the Pokemon Go app was only launched in the US, Australia, and New Zealand. The high demand has halted release in other countries till they work out the kinks, but you can still get in South Africa with a few work-arounds.

I downloaded it *cough* for research purposes to see if it works and yes works fine on my Samsung device. Here’s a few pics from Sea Point.

tentacool promenade

You have to flick those Pokeballs at the bottom to capture the Pokemon. Some are harder than others and move around a lot. You get Pokeballs by visiting places of interested which is intergrated onto the map. At the time i took that screnshot i was close to Graaffs Pool so this popped up.

pokemon graaffs pool

Right…so hears how you get Pokemon Go in South Africa.

Android:

1: go to your Settings and then Security.
    2: Scroll down to Device Administration and uncheck ‘Unknown Sources’ to allow installation of apps from source other than the Play Store.
    3: Then go to your browser and head to the APK Mirror site HERE to download the 58 MB Pokemon Go file.
    4: Depending on your version of Android, once the download is complete you’ll either be promted to install it or have to find it in your downloaded files folder and click it to begin the install. It will come with warnings about installing unknown files, accept and wait till the install completes.
    5: Once installed and opened you have to set up an account and you’re good to go.

iOS:

Bit tricker, but basically you have to change the region of your phone to the US to download Pokemon Go from the App Store after you’ve set up a new account. You can just change back to your old account when you’re done.

1: Go to the App Store and at the bottom click your username and log out.
    2: Go to your phone settings, click general and Language and Region. Change it to the US.
    3: Go back to App Store and click any free app to download. When prompted create a new Apple ID.
    4: Go to the Billing Info screen and select card type as’None’
    5: Put any US address in like Beverly Hills 90210 etc.
    6: Once verified go to App Store again and search for Pokemon Go and download it.
    7: After it’s installed you can log out of your fake App Store account and login to your old account.

There you go. Happy hunting.

Donovan says:
    July 07, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Hi. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. I changed my security settings to Unknown. I installed the app. And turned my location on. When I open Pokemon Go app. It askes to sign in with Google. When I do. It loads a little and then. Just says there are server problems, come back later. Is this normal? I haven’t been able to actually get the game to started at all. Can you help? Thanks

Zandro says:
    July 07, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Hello there. I had the same problem before I went to do research on why this is happening. It seems like the creators of the game closed down the servers because of the “illegal version downloads” from countries that are not supposed to have it yet. Further more I found out that they are investigating it and are going to suspend everyone who has downloaded the game this way, because it caused a server overload and the were not finished working on the game for the world wide release

Maestro says:
    July 07, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I guess we wont really get an answer here, m also getting the same problem

Rene says:
    July 07, 2016 at 4:04 pm

What I’ve heard is that everyone is now getting that (internationally)

ashleigh says:
    July 07, 2016 at 4:04 pm

hi , I have a Samsung s4 , I downloaded the game and the downloading went great , but as soon as I go in it shows a image with a symbol and “the Pokemon company” written on it and I suppose it should be loading , but it doesn’t , it freezes I guess , please help? thanks .

Darksider says:
    July 07, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Its not frozen or anything guys im in Johannesburg using an s4 mini i9195 and im able to play the game just fine and i dont even need to walk around thanks to xposed framework and pokemon go controls from the modules so anyway give it some time to load and relax my friend.

Liezel says:
    July 07, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Hi. I have the Galaxy Note 5. Downloaded the game without issues and modified my character. And then that’s it. Nothing further happens. My character just stands there. I keep on getting an error message that no GPS signal is found. My location is on and I am amble to locate myself on Google maps and the Tomtom app so my GPS seems to be working fine although not with the Pokémon app. Have checked my settings and it’s not blocking the app. Please help

Champ says:
    July 07, 2016 at 4:04 pm

The same thing happens to me, my character just stands there and nothing further happens, sometimes a I get message saying “unfortunately Pokemon go has stopped working” it’s frustrating

Bhavesh says:
    July 07, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I’m using iOS but when the billing info comes up there’s no none option

Debbie says:
    July 07, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Hi there. It asks me for payment details and since my card is South Africa it won’t allow it. There is no ‘None’ option.

M says:
    July 07, 2016 at 4:04 pm

When I select install it give s x n states not installed I’m using a samsung grand neo plus with the latest andriod 4. 4. 4 version I hav no luck

apex says:

After installing. What happens next..? Android

Rameez says:
    July 07, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I have a iPhone 5s and this DOES NOT WORK! Because when it asks you for your billing info THERE IS NO OPTION TO SELECT “none” so guys DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME

deolin says:
    July 07, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I have a vodacom smart tab 3g and the game is not working im going in the game but its going out on its own