No Banner to display

PSA: new regulations for South Africans travelling abroad with kids
Posted by on Jun 11th, 2014

If you have kids and are planning to travel overseas then there are few new regulations you need to know about. The Department of Home Affairs has revised the regulations for South Africans travelling with kids and as of July 1st all parents must provide an unabridged birth certificate for each child they are travelling with. This includes foreigners and even if both parents are accompanying their children. That’s not the only change…keep reading.

Side-note…have no idea what’s going on in that pic, but it is glorious. Totally needs a caption. Found it by googling ‘travelling with kids’  and it stays.

Anyways…here’s the rest of new SA travelling with kids regulations.

a) Where parents are travelling with a child, such parents must produce an unabridged birth certificate of the child reflecting the particulars of the parents of the child.

(b) In the case of one parent travelling with a child, he or she must produce an unabridged birth certificate and-

(i) consent in the form of an affidavit from the other parent registered as a parent on the birth certificate of the child authorising him or her to enter into or depart from the Republic with the child he or she is travelling with;

(ii) a court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship in respect of the child, if he or she is the parent or legal guardian of the child; [News24]

A court order? Can someone please explain that?

Now you know.

Don’t say i didn’t warn you.

UPDATE: the date from which the new regulations will take effect has been moved from July 1st to September 2014.

UPDATE 2: the actual legislation  (and not the copy/pasted bit from News24) says that you need an affidavit from the non-travelling parent ‘OR’ a court order. Not both.

Now you know.

[thanks @jerdeboer ]

Rene says:
June 06, 2014 at 7:40 am

Love that pic. I want whatever he has in that cup.

I saw that these requirements moved to the end of September. The ridiculous part of the whole thing was that by default you didn’t get an unabridged birth certificate. You had to go and specifically apply for that and it cost extra. We applied last week and they said it could take up to 6 months before arriving. So if you’ve already booked flights etc it is your loss.

Rene says:
June 06, 2014 at 7:40 am

About the court order. I’m not 100% sure, but think it is pretty standard that you get one when getting divorced, because when I filled in the application form for school they said if you’re divorced you should add a copy of the court order

Jay says:
June 06, 2014 at 7:40 am

Can someone explain to me the “court order” part. It just sounds to rediculous and not practicle since getting a court date is a mission on its own. Home affairs is not exactly the fatest and efficient operations..

Leave a comment