• Amateur footage captures cyclists assaulting motorist in Sea Point [video]
    Posted by on Mar 3rd, 2014

Been sent some hectic footage of a road rage incident in Sea Point where a large group of cyclists are captured assaulting the driver of a stationary vehicle. The amateur footage captured several cyclists punching the driver, pepper spraying him and damaging his vehicle.

According to the person who filmed the incident, the leader of a group of cyclists narrowly missed a stationary vehicle and he reacted violently while several other cyclists got involved.

This from the person who filmed what happened.

“Earlier today I was driving on Beach Road towards Cape Town, just past the Pavilion. There are two lanes and I was in the right hand lane. I found myself approaching a bunch of about twenty cyclists, probably practicing for the Argus Cycle Tour. They were in the left lane, but many were riding abreast so some were even encroaching into the right hand lane, past the center line. Aware of the new 1.5 meter rule, I slowed to give them space and was unwilling to overtake. Further ahead was a stationary vehicle that was double parked but it went unnoticed by the leader of the group who was looking back and communicating to the rest of the team. The group were moving swiftly and only at the last second when the leader again faced forwards, did he see the vehicle…. Just in the nick of time. He had to swerve violently to avoid the vehicle and this obviously upset him. He stopped his bicycle abruptly and flew into a violent rage. The entire peleton pulled up in support and some followed his lead. I fumbled with my phone for valuable seconds and eventually got the camera going, and filmed the violence unfolding before me. You can clearly see how they battered the vehicle, bent the windscreen wipers, pepper sprayed the driver, tried to steal his keys, assaulted him with a bicycle wheel and punched him and the passenger in the face repeatedly. There was a lot more going down than what you can see in the video.”

That wasn’t the entire story and you should read the rest HERE.

I live on Beach Road and travel to Camps Bay several times a week and while i know that the majority of cyclists abide by the law and are good people, this type of thing doesn’t surprise me. All too often i see groups of cyclists acting like complete idiots, often aggressively towards motorists. Now i’m not saying motorists are without blame, but damn that is some seriously unneccessary sh*t from the cyclists.

No doubt this is gonna spark some serious debate.

What say you?

[thanks Scotty]

UPDATE: The Muhammedeyeh Cycling Club has suspended the two members that have been identified as the alleged perpetrators with immediate effect, a disciplinary hearing is in process.

Here’s part of their official statement:

We refer to the matter dated 2 March 2014. The chairman and the executive committee had a meeting on 3 March 2014 and resolved, as follows:

The Club vigorously and vehemently condemns the behaviour of the members in the manner they retaliated to this situation, which has been recorded and posted on social media.

The Club has never and never will condone these actions. The Club has suspended the two members that have been identified as the alleged perpetrators with immediate effect, a disciplinary hearing is in process.

The Club wishes to apologise to the affiliates, the Western Province Cycling Association,Pedal Power Association, Cycling South Africa , the Sponsors, Muhammedeyeh Primary School and the entire community at large for this unfortunate incident.

We also wish to extend our sincerest apologies to the Big Walk committee.

The Club has referred this incident together with the names of the few identified members to the Pedal Power Association and Western Province Cycling, who will institute disciplinary proceedings against these members.

The Club intends to co-operate to the fullest with these affiliates in order to assist them to expedite the disciplinary proceedings.

The club has the fullest faith in the legal justice system and the case must run its course in a transparent manner.”

[thanks J.Meyer]

Wazza says:
    March 03, 2014 at 11:01 am

I love in Sea Point Daddy – every day I see cyclists going through red traffic lights and doing stupid stuff. No surprises from me that drivers get angry, I think the cops need to do something and monitor the cyclists and fine offenders. A few bad apples give the group a bad name.

Wazza says:
    March 03, 2014 at 11:01 am

I live in Sea Point Daddy – every day I see cyclists going through red traffic lights and doing stupid stuff. No surprises from me that drivers get angry, I think the cops need to do something and monitor the cyclists and fine offenders. A few bad apples give the group a bad name.

Bus says:
    March 03, 2014 at 11:01 am

Seems like all the dregs of society were out yesterday then.
    The amount of litter from that Mandela walk was ridiculous!!! Little blue plastic sachets EVERYWHERE!!! The whole promenade looked like Loftus, LOL!!!
    These people were WALKING, and not trying to get a fast time, so to speak.
    Yet, they couldnt hold on to a little blue sachet for a little while and pop it in a bin?
    Most of them were actually taking the piss with these sachets and spraying each other for fun.

But thats a side issue…

For a long stretch, the left lane of Beach Road was actually blocked off, and the cyclists were taking liberty with what remained of the right hand lane.

I had to continually slow down for bicycles riding next to each other or overtaking others without even looking or indicating in some way.

I hope these chops get whats coming to them.

Mighty Mikey says:
    March 03, 2014 at 11:01 am

This shit drives me insane. I also live in Sea Point and every day these bastards do what they like. As Wazza mentioned they break every road and safety rule in the book. They put their lives and our lives in danger by their arrogant cocky ways.

Im looking forward to them going to trial for assault on these guys. These pompous arrogant fucks.

makes me so made. They are almost as infuriating as the mini-bus taxis.

Carly says:
    March 03, 2014 at 11:01 am

Cyclists in South Africa are completely out of line, behaving like minibus taxis or worse and putting innocent lives at risk. We need to clamp down on cyclists. Enough of this bullsh*t!

Lu says:
    March 03, 2014 at 11:01 am

Just heard on the Cape Talk, this is the cycling club those oaks belong to: https://www.facebook.com/mc2cycling Muhammadeyah Cycling Club

Dorf says:
    March 03, 2014 at 11:01 am

These individuals need to be prosecuted by the law, as an example to all, to show that no matter if cycle, walk, drive or ride or whatever you cannot assault your fellow South African like this. Criminally inexcusable. They should have to talk to a judge.

Xavier says:
    March 03, 2014 at 11:01 am

Cyclists are the spoiled children of Cape roads. They wouldn’t pull a stunt like this in Gauteng because a) most motorists are armed and b) motorists take cyclists out regularly in Gauteng – they even had to abandon a cycle race because motorists were bumping them off the roads so much. But in the Cape, where we are more layed back (especially on the Sea Point beachfront, where we are so layed back that you don’t even have to score your own zol at sundown because there’s so much coming up off the beach that all you have to do is stroll along and breathe deeply) – ah, good old Sea point in the summer – don’t you love it? – Anyway back to the cyclists. When the robots are red, they hop over into the pedestrian lines, and when they are green motorists have to dodge between cyclists on the left and motorcyclists on the right. But this van was double parked, which affects the situation. I also once saw a young girl do a U-turn right in front of a peleton of cyclists and the leaders actually ran into her. It’s the road rage thing that is NEVER justifiable. I’m also worried about the name of this cycle club. They could have chopped the driver’s head off …

NAeemah says:
    March 03, 2014 at 11:01 am

Can I ask wot u meant by being concerned about “the clubs name”???
    as the club has nothing to do with these few individuals behaviour,as the chairperson of ths club is an excellent teacher at MUhammadiya primary school in wynberg,has an excellent work ethic and started ths club for a group of children who otherwise had no other opportunity to start cycling.and I know all of this as my dad has helped with this club for many years,so please do not judge the.club based.on their muslim name.thx

PRO STAR says:
    March 03, 2014 at 11:01 am

I am a cyclist and this ,manner of cylists behaving like HOOLIGANS is BULLSHIT. THEY ARE FULLY AWARE OF THE SINGLE FILE CYCLING RULE ON PUBLIC ROADS. They give GOOD CYCLISTS a BAD NAME. I think they should be FINED AND DISQUALIFIED from the ARGUS CYCLING TOUR. All cyclists of the tour will be BRANDED because of a SMALL BUNCH OF ASS-HOLES.

Steve from Beep Bank says:
    March 03, 2014 at 11:01 am

PRO-STAR – What are these “GOOD CYCLISTS” of which you speak?

Johann says:
    March 03, 2014 at 11:01 am

Here’s a good commercial for the cyclists. It is a problem the world over, as pointed out by Top Gear.