• No more minibus taxis on Sea Point Main Rd from Feb 15
    Posted by on Jan 15th, 2014

If you’re a resident of the Atlantic Seaboard area then the thought of no minibus taxis on Sea Point Main Rd is likely to make you do a happy dance. Well according to the City of Cape Town it will happen in exactly a month from now. MyCiTi services launch on Saturday, 15 February, linking central Cape Town with Hout Bay via Main Road in Sea Point and “With the launch of the new services, Golden Arrow bus services and minibus taxis currently operating along these routes will be withdrawn.”

I won’t lie…my balls just tingled a little writing that.

cape town

I wrote last year that the prospect of a taxi free Sea Point main road was too good to be true and when it was delayed and postponed and other routes opened except that one i thought it was never gonna happen.

But here’s official word from the MyCiti website.

“The services run from Civic Centre station in the city centre along Main Road through Green Point and Sea Point, Clifton and Camps Bay and on to Llandudno and Hout Bay. Once in Hout Bay passengers will have a choice of two services, one running via Imizamo Yethu and the other via Hangberg.

The new services are:
    108 Hout Bay – Hangberg – Sea Point – Civic Centre
    109 Hout Bay – Imizamo Yethu – Sea Point – Civic Centre

“With the launch of the new services, Golden Arrow bus services and minibus taxis currently operating along these routes will be withdrawn.” [MyCiti]

Not celebrating just yet and i will reserve my slowclaps for the 15 February when i don’t see a minibs taxi, but that is some outstanding news.

Alex Harrington-Griffin says:
    January 01, 2014 at 6:53 am

Why not let people have the choice. I use them daily and love their efficiency and atmosphere in some. Im from London originally and there people get choice

Jagter says:
    January 01, 2014 at 6:53 am

I will be a great day indeed.

But I don’t see the taxi associations taking this lying down.
    I predict the burning of tires and the kicking over of dustbins, and maybe some poo throwing for good measure.

They can maybe allow them in on the understanding that they must follow the rules of the road (no random stopping, swinging, cutting of, non roadworthy vechiles) but that might make a taxi driver’s head explode.

Jacques says:
    January 01, 2014 at 6:53 am

This info is not 100% correct, taxis are still allowed to come into the area to drop off but not collect –

January 01, 2014 at 6:53 am

Can you send me a link or provide a reference Jacques?

January 01, 2014 at 6:53 am

If minibus-taxi-drivers learn RESPECT and do the following:

1) NOT ASSUME that all traffic robots are green for them : RED means STOP , YELLOW means slow down to a stop

2) NOT overtake into oncoming traffic

3) NOT overload and load passengers on highways

4) NOT have their hazard lights on constantly – they are EMERGENCY LIGHTS , for EMERGENCY

5) ACTUALLY road-worthy their vehicles

6) ACTUALLY licence their vehicles

7) NOT have sound-systems that blast your ear-drums because it’s cool to be deaf

8) NOT hoot incessantly like idiots

then they are very welcome to stay !

However Myciti has only delivered quality service and the positive reviews keep coming in …

Taschyana says:
    January 01, 2014 at 6:53 am

Not happy news for me at all, as I make use of the minibus taxis and get dropped 2 blocks from my work, corner of Strand and Loop street, NOW I would have to walk all the way to and from Civic Centre, which is very inconvenient and I also agree, let people have a choice