• UFO spotted over Cape Town on Friday 6 September 2013 [pics]
    Posted by on Sep 11th, 2013

Ok so i got sent some pics last Friday of a unidentified object in the morning sky over Cape Town and i did some checking and the person who sent it in wasn’t the only witness so i thought i’d throw it out there and see if anyone else saw it and if there is some explaination for the bright cyclindrical shape captured as the sun was rising.

The pictures were accompanied by the following explanation…

“The pics are taken from my apartment window on the 9th floor of a building in Roeland Street, in the city centre. I was looking out in the direction of Milnerton/Tableview. The object was stationary and appeared cylindrical shaped. I thought it might just be a puff of cloud reflecting the rising sun (it was about 07h00 in the morning), but there were no other clouds in the sky. I told some friends and they saw it too and 2 of them mentioned they saw it last night as well. “

And here’s a few of the pics.

ufo cape town

And here’s other images in the sequence.

Anyone know what that could be? I’m assuming the window was open and it’s not a reflection. And since others saw it let’s play along shall we.

Not the first time either i’ve featured a UFO spotted over Cape Town story…i posted this a in December 2012 after social media went nuts that a bright light seen by dozens stayed for several minutes in the night sky.

For pics from that night click HERE.

[thanks Kat]

Travis says:
    September 09, 2013 at 8:33 am

Jeez, you Capetonians are dumb, hey. That the sun you’re seeing, peeking from behind a cloud in the sky. I know you don’t see it often, what with all that howling wind and rain, but really, it’s nothing much to worry about, my bru. If you want to see it more often, move to Joburg.

Byron says:
    September 09, 2013 at 8:33 am

The dark orange light is below it, behind the mountains – this seems to indicate that the sun was also still behind the mountains. If that was the sun – you wouldn’t see the dark orange filtering to light orange (where the ‘sun’ is supposed to be).

Also, if it was behind a cloud (apparently it was a cloudless morning and seems that way from the pics), light would still travel through the cloud and not be blocked out completely – clouds are not solid after all.

September 09, 2013 at 8:33 am

Ya that’s correct Byron. Definitely not the sun. Another witness said they saw the same thing but coming from Blouberg and heading toward Stellenbosch

Kat says:
    September 09, 2013 at 8:33 am

Thanks for the valuable input Travis, but it was not the sun. The sun was rising behind the mountains in the background….
    P.S Please stay in JHB….

Jagter says:
    September 09, 2013 at 8:33 am

My bet is on some small, funny shaped cloud reflecting the sun from behind the mountains.

Kat says:
    September 09, 2013 at 8:33 am

When I first saw it, that was my thought too, but the more I looked at it the less I thought it was a cloud…

Glanskind says:
    September 09, 2013 at 8:33 am

I see them a lot in spring when the sun rise over the mountains on he way to work in the Northern Suburbs. The one that I which looks similar to this the condensation left behind plans as they start the decent from Jozi flight path. When then sun reflect or gets caught in these condensation lines it makes for interesting patterns. Some mornings once can see up to 4 lines coming down from the sky liek that.

Slugsy says:
    September 09, 2013 at 8:33 am

This has been seen before in cape town and discussed on cape talk several times, it is the rising sun reflecting off one of the jets flying into cape town from joberg.

Check the flight times, i bet there was a flight inbound into cape town from joberg about 15 to 20 minutes out from landing when this photo was taken.

September 09, 2013 at 8:33 am

That is an excellent and very plausible explanation Slugsy

David Taylor (@DaveTheCarGuy) says:
    September 09, 2013 at 8:33 am

It’s the sun reflecting off a contrail, which is the cloud left behind a high-flying aircraft. The reason it stops is because the plane started its decent into Cape Town.

Kat says:
    September 09, 2013 at 8:33 am

I hear you, however, it is quite strange that this is the only time I have ever seen it. The pics were taken from my apartment window where I sit every single morning, when the sun rises, for the past 7 years….