• CT Fish Market ad withdrawn after 2 people complained it was racist [video]
    Posted by on Sep 5th, 2013

The Advertising Standards Authority have ordered management of popular fish restaurant, Cape Town Fish Market, to remove a television commercial after it recieved two complaints. The CTFM ad features a scene where a white actor with his face blackened, speaks in a thick African accent. The ASA deemed the ad to be discrimatory and offensive for portraying a stereotype that black politicians were liars.

Here’s the ad.

CT Fish Market management has apologised and said the ad was meant to be humourous and not offensive.

“According to the ASA the advert was discriminatory and likely to cause offence to black people.

“The black character is depicted with derogatory intention, speaks with a thick accent, and recalls a stereotypical black dictator.

“To achieve the desired result of showing a corrupt official, there was no need for the man to be made out to be black,” the authority concluded. ” [News24]

cape town fish market ad racist

What do you think?

Devon says:
    September 09, 2013 at 7:09 am

I mourn for this nation, firstly 2 people had a problem with this ad because 1 scene in the ad was offensive what about the rest of them? Maybe the lawyers should step in as well, and realtors it cause they’d never lie. Seems we’ve lost our sense of humour

It certainly is a huge generalisation but we all know “the truth”

Anyways I think CTFM is going to get far more traction on YouTube for this ad than TV anyways

September 09, 2013 at 7:09 am

Ya…much like the Flora ad i think people (especially South Africans) are too quick to jump on an ad that has any racial undertones. Be it edgy or provocative they leap on the social media bandwagon and doesn’t matter what they think. Those ads woulda been mild in a country like Denmark, but given our history it’s understandable. I actually suspect that a CTFM competitor was feeling spiteful at the ad claiming their fish isnt really fresh so they made a complaint.

Dean says:
    September 09, 2013 at 7:09 am

Lowe have got into shit for this and the Flora ads… I just hope they aren’t disheartened by these haters… Creativity is about losing the fear of being wrong. I like that they’re pushing the boundaries for their clients and not producing stock standard advertising drivel. Keep at it Lowe.

September 09, 2013 at 7:09 am

What a lengthy drawn out ad … even if those 2 people didn’t mention the race card – it’s still a boring ad …

September 09, 2013 at 7:09 am

They are in a downward spiral.

Attended an interview with CTFM for a position in the creative department. Spent over 8 hours on a weekend compiling a strategy plan for them. After the interview they asked me to send them copies of the plan and never got back to me. 1 month later I see my work being used. Shameful.

CTFM, you deserve the bad publicity.

Justine says:
    September 09, 2013 at 7:09 am

I think its a great ad, funny as hell! Stop being so sensitive and politically correct.. learn to laugh at yourselves . No one gets out alive X