• SA police forcibly remove blind St Georges Mall guitar player [pic + video]
    Posted by on Jul 9th, 2013

If you’ve ever been to St Georges Mall in Cape Town you would most likely have heard the blind guy playing his guitar. He’s been there for years and plays the same tune day in and day out. Well that was till yesterday when he was forcibly removed, his guitar got smashed and he was dragged away by SA police.

According to the Cape Times, 51 year old Lunga Goodman Nono now faces a R1500 fine for busking outside his permitted time and refusing to stop.

st georges mall

And here’s amateur video of the cops taking him away.

If you don’t know who he is then just go search YouTube..plenty of tourists have uploaded videos of him playing. Just like this one.

And here’s how witnesses on social media decribed what happened.

blind guitar guy

Swak.

I reckon we should all chip in and pay his fine.

UPDATE:

Support has poured in for blind busker, Lunga Goodman. Facebook groups opened, people have opened a bank account to help get donations to pay his fine, a gathering of supporters has been organised for today in St Georges Mall and several folks have offered up replacement guitars. A recording studio has even offered to record and mix a song for him.

“A recording offer is on the cards for blind busker Lunga Goodman Nono, who was forcefully moved by metro police officers on Monday for allegedly contravening city by-laws by performing for longer than his permit allowed. Nono’s guitar was smashed by several metro police in front of his wife, Abigail, and 10-year-old daughter, Portia. A passer-by who saw the incident has bought Nono a new guitar. ” [iol]

Mr Happy says:
    July 07, 2013 at 7:44 am

I’m in. Let me know how we can contribute. Does anyone have a new guitar to donate?

suzie says:
    July 07, 2013 at 7:44 am

Please yes let’s all chip in to pay his fine. And lets find a guitar on Gumtree to buy for him.

Lana says:
    July 07, 2013 at 7:44 am

I lived in Market House for 2 years, 2nd floor on the corner, exactly above where he used to sit and play. I must admit there were days that I wanted to pounce on him from my window. I worked from home and had to deal with that one tune, day in and day out as you said.

However, what they did to him was undeserved, I respected that man and he has a right to be there. If the blind woman (who used to sit at the Mr Price but moved to his spot where they rotated the last few months) and the 4 guys with the trumpets are allowed there, why isn’t he?

Meg says:
    July 07, 2013 at 7:44 am

Can’t believe this!

I’m in to help out for the guitar and the fine.

Michael says:
    July 07, 2013 at 7:44 am

While the manner in which this was conducted was unfortunate, does no one recognise the fact that he was breaking the law?

Refusing to abide by his permitted hours. Refusing to move when requested to do so by the police. Becoming a noise nuisance to surrounding businesses. Insulting police when requested to move.

I think people are being blinded by the fact that he was blind. Do a different set of rules apply to someone that is blind?

Lana says:
    July 07, 2013 at 7:44 am

For what i’s worth. I agree.

Mr Happy says:
    July 07, 2013 at 7:44 am

Shussssh Michael…

Here is a protest site and contirbution site:

Protest: https://www.facebook.com/events/191092251055419/191104871054157/?ref=notif&notif_t=plan_mall_activity

Contribution: http://startme.co.za/groups/projects/community/blind-injustice

Nothing like a good protest! But keep it tidy kids…

Josi says:
    July 07, 2013 at 7:44 am

How about guitar lessons for the guy so he can play a variety of tunes?