Right so as expected the poll for best chilli poppers in Cape Town was hotly (see what i did there) contested and very few votes seperated the top two nominations hey. Like i said previously the Best Of Cape Town 2013 polls are not compiled by food critics and are most certainly not a review by myself. In fact i’ve only been to a handful of the restaurants mentioned in this poll. The list is purely compiled by votes sent in by the well informed readers of Life is Savage and people on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook. Essentially it’s a top 10 crowd-sourced list compiled by Cape Town locals who are in my opinion the best judges.
The top 2 places were pretty much neck and neck, but the winner turned out to be the same venue that last year won the Best Mexican restaurant hands down. Not surprising, but it did have some stiff competition from one of Cape Town’s oldest Mexican restaurants.
So here you go…the top 10 best chilli poppers in Cape Town.
- El Burro – 81 Main Road, Greenpoint, 1st Floor , 021 433 2364
- Fat Cactus – 5 Park Rd, Gardens and 47 Klipfontein Rd, Mowbray, 021 422 5022
- Pancho’s – 127 Lower Main Road, Observatory, 021 447 4854
- Hudsons – Somerset Rd Green Point, Kloof Street Gardens and Protea Rd Claremont, 021 433 1496
- Rafiki’s – 13 Kloof Nek Road, Tamboerskloof, 021 426 4731
- Twankey Bar – Taj hotel, Wale Street, Cape Town, 021 819 2000
- Da Vinci’s – 70 Kloof Street, Gardens, 021 424 7504
- The Shack – 45 De Villiers Street, Cape Town, 021 461 5892
- Buena Vista Social Cafe – 12 Portswood Road, Green Point, 021 418 2467
- Zapata – 2nd Avenue, Harfield Village, Claremont, 021 671 2393
Nicely done to El Burro. Second time they have scooped a Best Of Cape Town award.
Have you tried all the other places? I’m definitely trying the Twankey Bar poppers since they are apparently well worth it i’m told. Da Vinci’s also has some great value for money where just R47 gets you 12 chilli poppers.
There were plenty of other nominations that didn’t make the top 10 and if you’re interested then go try the chilli poppers at Neibourhood, Rick’s Cafe, Forresters Arms, Cantina Tequila, Cubana, Roxy’s Cafe, Oblivion, Banana Jam, De Kelder, Cape To Cuba and Beefcakes.
If you have any other recommendations then leave a comment hey. That’s what these polls are all about hey.