• Best of Cape Town 2013 – who makes the best chilli poppers in Cape Town? [poll]
    Posted by on May 30th, 2013

Right…havn’t done a Best Of Cape Town 2013 poll for a while and given that winter is fast approaching i reckon today’s poll is rather appropriate hey. If you’re a new Life is Savage reader then basically the drill is that i’m looking for a crowd sourced top 10 list of the best Cape Town has to offer. No experts, no long winded reviews…purely a top 10 list generated through social media. In the past i’ve done polls for the best coffee, best sushi, best burgers etc in Cape Town HERE, even the best hairdresser. The last poll i did was hotly contested, but you fine folks nominated and the top 10 list for best ribs in Cape Town was created.

I expect the poll today to be another close one and it’s something i’ve wanted to know for quite a while actually since i normally only go to one of two places for chilli poppers. I know for sure there are more places that serve those deliciously spicy starters so let’s hear it folks.

Who makes the best chilli poppers in Cape Town?

best chilli poppers Cape Town

Oh i could smash a whole plate of those right now.

Here’s how you can add your two cents to the poll.

• If you’re gonna make a nomination on Twitter then please make sure you include me @lifeissavage (follow my ass while you’re at it) and also #BestChilliPoppers or #BestOfCapeTown2013 in the tweet so i track the results.
    • If you’re gonna leave a comment beneath this post with a nomination then feel free to add some extra notes hey. We all wanna know value for money ( ie portion size and how many chilli poppers you get in a serving) , how spicy the chilli poppers are, what dip they serve with it and what kind of cheese they use and do they have different varieties like bacon wrapped ones etc.

Now i can already tell you that certain restaurants in CT suck big hairy balls at making chilli poppers. They use yellow cheese as a filling or cover them in crappy batter. That is a no no.

So let’s hear it…who makes the best chilli poppers in Cape Town?

Wazza says:

Daddy!
    Alright, this is going to sounds weird, but only if you have never had these bad boys. The best chillipoppers in Cape Town is… The Shack.

Not traditional, wrapped in phillo pastry – but freakin value for money and awesome!

Go on, try it!

Carrott says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I came to comment on this post purely to cast my vote for The Shack.

Seriously Good poppers, 6 for R37 I think? Also the lady makes them from scratch while you wait. They are DELICIOUS (and I have gone to taste them when sober as well, so I have a true opinion).

Second vote for porky poppers from Hudson’s. BACOOOOON!

biobot says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

It has to be Hudsons. They make the ones with bacon in them.

Wazza says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Or Hudsons Porky poppers – they are magical.

Die Jason says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Panchos in Observatory is quite good, not been there in a while though.

Natasha says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

The best chili poppers I’ve had are from Cape to Cuba! Sheer perfection – not too spicy, more of a pickle, huge! You only get one (or sometimes two smaller ones) but it’s all you need.

Om nom nom …

X

Lu says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Fat cactus in Mowbray. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

Frik Brits says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Right …. I’ve been on a ‘Best Chili Poppers in CT’ mission for quite a while now.
    If you’re going to build a Top 10 list, then you HAVE to visit the following places :

1. Panchos – Observatory : Great poppers with quite a bite !
    2. Cantina Tequila – Edward Street : This place is really underrated and skipped by quite a lot of folks (when searching for Mexican food). My current #1 Popper in CT. Absolutely amazing !
    3. Hudsons : Seapoint : Quite good as well.
    4. Remex Mexican Cantina – Richwood : True Mexican Styled Poppers will have you coming back for more !
    5. Hollow Tree – Bellville : These are so good, you’ll eat them with your hand ! Nice bite as well.

Let me know if you want more details.

biobot says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Hmm. Cantina Tequila, eh? Okay, will try them out.

EmlingtonPost says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Don’t forget Da Vinci’s (Bacon) and Neighbourhood who do a plate with about 4 different types. Those two are definitely the best that I have had and like Frik, we try them everywhere we go (along with Mojito’s) to find the best.

Jose says:

El Burro

leightz_sa says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Beefcakes in Sea Point/Green Point. I for one am not a fan of the popper of chilli, but theirs are pretty decent. much better than fat cactus or panchos, ewww.

Mario says:

Rafiki’s

Wardah says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Cubana – crispy batter, stuffed with feta and served with sweet chili dip. the bite is just right.

Craig says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Pancho’s (Observatory) ! Tried Chilli Poppers at many places in CT but Panchos in my opinion is the best. They serve it with a type of wrapped filo pastry instead of the crumbed way like some places, that just ends up falling onto your plate. They get straight to the point and dont add any over the top unwanted garnish. :)

Blake Kent says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Oh come on! Everyone’s saying the best are at their favorite cheap drinking hole. The best poppers are actually at Twankeys in Wale street. Not oil battered tasteless crap, really awesome cheese and bite and a totally different take on poppers.

Karisa says:
    May 05, 2013 at 1:39 pm

My vote would also go to Pancho’s in Observatory. Only had theirs once, but it’s haunted me ever since… Mmmmm. Another good one is Fat Cactus (I usually go to the one in Gardens).