• Best Of Cape Town 2013 – who is the best hairdresser in Cape Town? [poll]
    Posted by on Mar 7th, 2013

Right…last year saw the creation of a new page on Life is Savage called The Best of Cape Town 2012 and it aimed to be the go-to-list for for anyone wanting to know where in Cape Town they can find for example the best burger, or pizza or coffee etc. If you’re a new reader then let me explain quickly. We all know there are review sites where you’ll find a detailed review of a particular place in the city, but those are most likely done by so called experts. What i tried to achieve instead is a people’s choice of what the best places are by crowd sourcing through social networks like Twitter and comments here on Life is Savage. Why?…..because locals know best that’s why.

So last year i ended up asking locals where the best sushi, best burgers, best coffee, best pizza, best Mexican food, best Chinese food, best curry and best steak can be found in Cape Town and the results were amazing.

This year though i decided to move away from food groups and throw in some some other polls that i reckon are worthwhile for people in Cape Town to know. The first of which i expect will be very hotly contended.

So i want to know from you…who is the best hairdresser in Cape Town?

For those of you on Twitter…please include the hashtags #BestHairdresserCT and #BestOfCapeTown2013 along with the name of your favourite hairdresser and which salon they work from.

For those leaving a comment beneath this post feel free to give a reason why your hairdresser is the best in Cape Town. That includes price, extras (think head massage), availability, ambience of the salon and quality of gossip hey.

I’ll count the votes tomorrow and make a top 10 list.

And go.

Kate says:

Mirrors Hair Lab
    Good location in Gardens next to De Waal Park (cnr Camp Str & Molteno Rd)
    Experienced open-minded hair stylists to create your preferred style, insane coffee and homemade biscuits!!! And bonus – they do lashes and nails as well. One stop glam shop!

michelle says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Bianca has been cutting my hair since 2000. I follow her wherever she goes. She knows when i want to hang onto my long locks or she will convince me its time for a change, and i wished it had come sooner. Also, Muse Hair and Beauty, is by far the most beautiful salon I have ever been too..and its not because I love blue. Ok, maybe the colours do make a difference..tiny fairy lights..check..chandelier..check..yummy coffee and biscotti.check.and then of course..the magic hands of a lady by the basin. Specials one a month..check..By far the best rated head massage in town!! Gotta love them ♥

annie says:

Check out Muse Hair and Beauty : http://www.musehairandbeauty.co.za/
    – Bianca the stylist, who understands what you trying to say about your hair, when you can’t put whats on your mind into words
    – Clean, central, friendly

Charlen says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

DEFINITELY MUSE Hair and Beauty, the staff a supa awsome, friendly and caring!

The salon is fresh and stylish! The prices are excellent and service is out of this world!

AWSOME place to chillax and pamper yourself! 😉

Kelsey says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Peter the haircutter… without a doubt. makes my dead straight hair a mess of curls somehow. Magic

Anshe says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I vote for Bianca at Muse Hair and Beauty, because her attitude and general care for hair well being is out of this world. Unati gives a pretty mean head massage too!

Debs says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

http://www.massimospazzoli.com Is the best for weddings and photo shoots. He has over 50 years experience in the trade He can transform you into a princess.

michelle says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Unati..thats the girls name! Magic fingers!!

Marley says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I vote for Bianca from Muse Hair & Beauty.
    She is very professional and a willingness to help with styles and ideas.
    Also friendly and energetic personality.

Danielle says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Lileen is the best hairdresser in Town! When I’m looking to having a relaxing time and to spoil myself, then LilaVie is the place I go to do just that. Ever since Khloe Kardashian brought the Ombre Hair look to everyone’s attention; I immediately wanted to have my hair done the exact same way. I came to LilaVie and told Lileen exactly what I wanted and she perfected my new look! Every where I go I always get compliments about my hair and I always refer people to LilaVie Hairsalon. If you are looking at spoiling yourself or looking to have a hairstyle that will turn heads, then LilaVie is the place to go! 😀

Danielle says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Call 081 249 5527 to make a booking at LilaVie Hairsalon or visit the website @ http://www.lilavie.co.za to more information.

Gina Orselli says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I vote for Candice @ Mirrors Hair Lab in Gardens, she is passionate with a creative flair like no other, she has been doing my hair for years and every year she surprises me. Her space is magical and when you leave your appointment you feel like a $1 million dollars. I vote Candice.

Leanne says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Wow! Go Bianca! I suppose it’s easy though, when you literally are the best in town! As others have already said, she just ‘gets it’! Short, long, highlights, lowlights, whatever you desire, you know you’re in good hands! And Muse is chilled, modern, clean, friendly – all the things you expect when splashing out on some me time

jacqueline brodie says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Definately Bianca at Muse Hair and Beauty, she always gives the best advice and knows when I need a change in the bad hair day department! She has been doing my hair since 2002 and I’ve loveds every hair moment with her! The ambiance is fab, the coffee good and the salon beautiful, not to mention the moment of forget about the world when they wash and massage ur head!! I love biance and she deserves to be top here! X

Caitlin says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Mirrors Hair Lab in Gardens. I always get treated like gold when i go there. The staff are amazing and soooo good at what they do. The salons decor is stunning and so funky. Pammy”s head massage is out of this world. Candice is the brains behind the business, creative and very talented….. I VOTE CANDICE!!!!

Natalya says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I love going to Candice from Mirrors hair lab… She’s welcoming and listens to my gossip 😉 Great person to talk to and get along with :)

eloise says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Bianca’s got my vote! She can work any style / colour you can dream up! you always leave the salon looking and feeling great! And they serve great coffee and have a rocking playlist…

March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Candice from Mirrors hair lab is the best.
    Been going to her for 15 years and I would never change. She listens to me and has given me many different awesome styles.
    Go and see for yourself!

tankiso says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Talent is the best hair dresser in town by far, he works @ ZARH hair salon in Parklands, next to Checkers at the new sundowns mall. He always carries a great conversation and he can read people so well (whether ur a talker/ not or whether ur in the mood 4 a chat up / not) he. Is amazinh on the hair & his praces a good 4 the amazing work he does, and his massages…mmhhhh! He was out of town for a month and I couldn’t even get a wash anywhere else I just missed him like crazy.

Yandi says:

HI Tankiso,

Do you have their number? Are they good with weaves? :)

Nicky Olausson says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Without a doubt, it has to be Mirror Hair Lab. Candice and her team are the absolute BEST!

josh says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Bianca from Muse Hair & Beauty. I don’t let anyone else touch my hair. She listens and doesnt go trigger happy with her blades according to what she feels she wants to do (which is rather refreshing).

Raquel says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Candace at Mirrors Hair Lab is definitely the best. She always goes the extra mile to make clients feel welcome and being in the salon is an absolute treat – from the delicious cappucinos to the head massages and treatments and ofcourse her excellent colour and cutting techniques.

Bev de Pons says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Candace at Mirrors Hair Lab is definitely the best. Great colour, great styling, great at protecting my hair too,

Keri says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

MUSE HAIR and BEAUTY….Tracey you rock! Love the colour…love the cut… always a treat to have hair done here…it’s the total experience that counts… and good looking hair that lasts!

Nicole says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Candice at Mirrors – talented, professional, creative, warm and friendly. Whenever I go, I never want to leave and always leave feeling fabulous.

maria baumann says:

SAVAS SAVAS SAVAS!!!

Isabel says:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Joyce says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Candice from Mirrors Hair Lab is by far the best. She is professional yet extremely warm, friendly and hospitable. Candice keeps up with technology and is brave enough to try new methods. Very experienced in hair colour tech and good at styles. You go girl

March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Im definitly a MIRRORS hair lab fan.. as i always leave their tranquil magical space, feeling complete and happy… Candice and the Team are always updating with the latest knowledge and trends about hair and are happy to pass it all on.. id like to say, that those that know Candice also know that she is somewhat of a colour specialist, her advice is priceless and her cuts are sassy and stylish …another big plus,. she never cuts too much ..( so many other hairdressers are way to scissor happy for my liking) .. at MIRRORS the consultations before the sessions are indepth and thorough.. Pamela at the basin… an absolute treat… the cupucino treat is a def. must experience.. another very important thing for me in a salon is the cleanliness factor eg sterile brushes, combs and trolleys ect. BIG plus there guys..love the cleanliness at this salon, i ve been going to hairdressers for 30 + years and these factors have become really important to me.. so i hope with some of these facts i make the decission (of best hair Salon in Cape town ) an easy one for all..better yet…go see for yourself xoxo

Elke says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Candice from Mirrows Hair is the absolute best. she is very professional and I love her new place. Very welcoming and comfy. Elke

Eleanor says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

It has got to be Syzygy Hair Design , 65 short Market Street. It’s been around for about 15 years, their clients are loyal.
    Upmarket, uber social place with a buzz of ladies and gents chatting away, prices are fare.
    Shireen, Allen and Kenneth are just phenomenal.

Natalie Bass says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Candz from Mirrors Hair lab wins hands down… I actually like my hair now instead of enduring endless bad hair days and related bad moods. I now have long healthy hair for the first time in my life…

March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

MIRRORS hair lab is without a doubt the best salon in Cape town , i always leave this tranquil and magical space feeling, complete and happy…this team are all about updating on knowledge, trends and style.. carefully choosing the right products for their clients no matter the cost..yet, i find MIRRORS prices extremly good value…(they dont try to sell you what you dont need).. not to forget that Candice is a colour specialist.. ,her cuts are stylish and sassy.. another big plus she is not “scissor happy” like so many other hairdressers.. they start cutting and dont stop… the consultations beforehand are indepth and thorough.. i have been going to hairdressers for 30 + years and one of the many things that are important to me, is the hygine & cleanliness factor… ‘have you seen some of the trollys at some salons??… not at MiRRORS ‘all good… the layout of the salon allows you to be a part of it and yet you still have privacy if you choose.. then theres Pamela at the basin.. what a treat !!.. the cupucino with sparkly peaks of white… well.. you just need to go and experience it for yourself.. you will not regret this experience… i promise xoxo

Claire Horner says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Mirrors Hair Lab next to dewaal park, s awesome relaxed funky environment. Love the coffee and biscuits. Great hair cut and colour every time! The staff are friendly and we always have great chats :) Definitely recommend to everyone.

Isabel says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

SAVAS! I fly from Dubai.. to have my hair done by Savas in Claremont. Besides skill, charm, talent, you have to have a hairdresser who is kind, loves people and is romantic.. Who sees that person in you. Can’t beat Savas!!

Terence says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Definitely Bianca @ Muse Hair and Beauty. She’s an absolute genius and each and every time I’ve been there I’ve gotten an awesome hairstyle. Brilliant attention to detail and has this awesome energy about her.
    The rest of the team are exceptional too – there’s an awesome friendly vibe amongst them which is really infectious.
    I also doubt there’s a sexier looking salon in Cape Town – the attention to detail and the finishes set them apart.

regan says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Bianca at Muse Hair And Beauty (New Salon)

Leah says:

Bianca @ MUSE Hair and Beauty 😉

She is definitely BY FAR! Bianca is remarkable, for example If she doesnt have the colour your heart desires she will make sure to either mix it to the perfection you require or she’ll make one hellova plan to make she has it for you for your next appointment- ie fashion colours, you know those rediculously bright colours.

😉

Linda Vere says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I vote for Candice at Mirrors Hair Lab in the Gardens. Each visit to the salon is an awesome experience…what an amazing team. I love the new Salon and Camdice is a creative genius.
    I strongly urge you to visit the salon you will not be sorry!!

Amy-Lee Band says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Candice at Mirrors hair salon is number ONE! I have trusted her for many years and she has been taken me through many looks and has always created a loving and and beautiful space that makes her clients feel amazing! My whole family feel the same way about her and no matter who you are, she will find a way to make you feel special!

Steven says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I rate Bianca from Muse Hair and Beauty is the kitties titties. Great haircut, chilled conversation, and overall good vibes.

Theresa Aldum says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I vote Candice from Mirrors Hair Lab, she has amazing talent, i feel like I’ve stepped out of the bustling life and entered a calm healing place, my hair cut has always been incredible – she knows exactly what she is doing, on trend, with advise and all the extras. No 1 in my book by a long way. … Check it out …

Jill Tait says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Candice @ Mirrors is by far and above the best Hairdersser in Cape Town. She is the Blonde queen of CT! Have tried for 2 years to find a hairdreser who will do a cool ash blonde! She got it SPOT ON!

Decor so fab, chatter /gossip abounds, empathy for clients and staff is huge and most of all her talent and passion for hair really shines through!

I vote CANDICE!!!!

Chaté says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Muse is the best and Bianca is the best hairdresser

Nicci says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

OK looks like this is sponsored by mirror something with a lady called Bianca being the instegator.

My honest vote after 30 years of bad hair is Lionel Kin. No salon name but a hair artist who made my hopeless hair beautiful after no one miiror lab included could not

Rene says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Hi Nicci, please forward me Lionel’s contact details. Sounds like my kind of hairdresser. Thanks, Rene

Nicci says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Lastly you can have the most beautiful salon, shampoo girls ect ect but all that counts for the next few months is does your hair make you look better

Jeanine says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Candice at MIRRORS is the best I have been to. I stumbled upon her and feeling fed-up with my hair, gave her carte blanche. A crazy thing to do with a stylist you have not come across before or even been recommended to. A few people I know have asked me since who does my hair and have gone to and stayed with Candice. She knows her stuff.

Liza Weschta says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

mirrors hair lab for best hair salon and candice for best hairdresser!!! for sure!!! that girl puts all heart into your hair!

Warren Espey says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Jackie at Carlton hair in cavendish- nicest person, always friendly and she puts love, passion and soul into her job. She wont win this competition, but def deserves a mention.
    Thanks for the competition,

Nelia says:

Hello Warren,

Is Jackie still at Carlton?
    I have recently moved to CPT from JHB and my hairdresser recommended Jackie apparently they both studied at the Wyatt – my hairdresser is Nicola Melidonis.

I am hoping that she is still at Carlton Cavendish :)

Thx

Doris Ricketts says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Candice from Mirrors Hair Lab is fantastic. Fabulously friendly atmosphere with the most amazing decor. Excellent cutting & colour skills. Always a happy occasion when there – the most divine coffee and hot chocolate. Candice you rock!!!!!!

rosa says:

I VOTE CANDICE!!!

Tracy Chapmasn says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Candice Vk Donadel At Mirrors Hair Lab Is the Best Hair stylist ever .!!!

March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Lilian from Lila Vie is THE MOST amazing hair stylist!! I’ve been going to Lily for some time now and not only is she a great stylist, she’s also become an amazing friend and makes the best cappuccinos!! Vote for Lila Vie! :-)

Mike says:
    Martin says:
    March 03, 2013 at 1:18 pm

All these comments about Candice from mirrors are probably written by themselves ! absolutely disgraceful salon Mirrors. My wife had a 4:30 pm appointment with Candice , upon arriving at the salon we were then told that someone else would be cutting my wife’s hair. We specifically booked with Candice not anyone else. We travelled far to make it for the 4:30 appointment. We were told to return at 5:30 when Candice would be available (despite the fact that they phoned us the day before to confirm our 4:30 appointment.) at around 4:50 we were phoned by Candice to say that she would now not be able to see us at all and that we must come back some other day. We said that this is an unacceptable way to be treated at which point she hung up the phone. This Salon clearly has no idea how to treat it’s customers. The behavior and conduct of the owner Candice Donadel is completely unprofessional and downright rude. I would not recommend this salon and Candice to anyone.