• Leaked: MTN document saying uncapped BIS to be replaced by capped service as of 1 March 2013
    Posted by on Feb 6th, 2013

Some spicy rumours for Blackberry owners on the MTN network…the current R59/month unlimited BIS package will from 1st March 2013 no longer be uncapped and instead allow users 200MB of data a month. Once you have used that up you will be charged out of bundle rates unless you top up with an internet bundle.

An unconfirmed document in the hands of tech website Mybroadband shows a graphic with the planned tiers that will be available and with a caption stating clearly that ‘the current uncapped BIS service will no longer be made available to new subscribers or to existing subscribers wanting to reposition the service as it will now become legacy”

The price of the Blackberry Absolute package will still be R59 per month except for the cap of 200MB…which i’m told is a min hey. If you have Twitter, Facebook and open plenty of pictures in those as well as surf the interwebs within normal limits then i reckon you’re gonna go through that before the month is over.

The leaked graphic has not been confirmed by MTN, but the chaps at Mybroadband have a very respectable track record so unless someone is taking the piss i reckon you can expect the changes to occur.

“MTN BlackBerry customers will no longer be able to buy the uncapped BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) package from 1 March 2013. It will be replaced by a new capped service called “BlackBerry Absolute”. This is according to an MTN document dated 5 February 2013.” [Mybroadband]

Go read more HERE.

Will make some calls and see if i can get it confirmed. Only thing that bugs me is that the caption in the graphic said “BIS service”. Would a genuine MTN graphic make an error like that since BIS stands for Blackberry Internet Service and adding the word service after that would be stupid incorrect.

Is this setting things up for the release of Blackberry 10 devices also rumoured to be in March.

Co-incidence or makes sense?

You May Also Like:

Kelly says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

If they plan to do this without telling us, or without a notice period of less than 1 month, it’s pretty bad practice besides from the ridicule of this concept in the first place. I would also like to know what the point of having a Blackberry is if we can’t even get the one feature that makes it attractive?

kerry says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

They have already done something! Mtn users can’t download anything due to them decreasing download speeds, even a song download fails. What I’d like to know is how they justify charging me R60 for internet every month.definitely changing networks

February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I’m not going to be impressed with the idea of CAPPING usage.

Siphenathi says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

To be honest BIS was the only thing makes my phone(Blackberry) special I could log in blackberry protect and control my device. Now I don’t think it will be the same again my emails has stopped coming in already I am thumbing down for this capped idea I go with uncapped, it was perfect. I am already considering to buy 8ta or vodacom simcard just for BIS if they still have it.

Siphenathi says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Guys to add to my comment the wireless connection now seems to be stable on phone with this capped but for me it’s just not the best I can creatively regard myself as a interholic person. I can’t live with out it I deserve uncapped. So far everything seem to be as before.

Aggie says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Ok they can do wat ever they like but some of us gonna get new sim card,I cannot hv bb without BIS just cant

pyro says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Fuck mtn and blackberry I can’t survive without bis…..bis help me with my school work we want bis back that’s it #stressed

Sello says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Vodacom remains the best network provider in the country. I migrated to Vodacom long ago ever since MTN hiked their price and moreover, Vodacom has many price plans from which you can chose. Vodacom’s BIS is uncapped and I download movies and music anytime, any day, forever. The solution is to migrate to Vodacom if you are a BlackBerry user because BB is nothing without its unlimited BIS.

Lee says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I think MTN is ridiculous!!! I have always used it and now they dissappoint…

I actually bought a blackberry in addition to my Samsung just for BBM purposes. Now I’m sitting with a extra phone that serves no purpose, WHATSOVER!

collimoto says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Mtn is very stupid and wicked, y would they have to cape the BIS, what is the BB for without unlimited data usage? I hate MTN so much because they never want to loss or give away anything for free…fuck MTN..2824EB08

steph says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

MTN sucks and I’m stuck in my contract for 2 more years coz I get my upgrade then they change the rules. I can’t download a simple file from my emails. Bb just makes work easier I get all my emails to my phone but what’s the point if I can’t even open the files I need.

Kai says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I am actually really happy they have decided to do this. MTN is forever messing around with customers and providing poor service. I think we can safely say that capping BIS will be a final good bye to MTN with regards to Blackberry, and MTN deserves to go down for being the complete money hungry bastards they are… What company would make their product WORSE when they have a good clientele AND have the lowest quality-for-money of all their competitors??? MTN!!

GeeLee says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Well I’m only afraid that all the mtn customers will all want to migrate to vodacom! I don’t mind sharing but obviously that will give a strain to the network provider we as vodacom customers we will be crowded I hope vodacom sees that in time and up their game cause I’m sure they will get more customers cause they are the power house!

mxm says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I’m so pisses moving to vodacom

Michelle says:
    February 02, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I can’t believe the mtn network that I used forever is degrading its standards. I’m stuck with it with another 2 years I’m so diappointed.money wasted, must pay but don’t get the service. So if I buy a second fone with VODACOM this bb will be a waste,wonder if mtn will reinburse losses. Haha its like giving all your clients to an other network. What a way to do bussiness