• Did you see this strange UFO light over Cape Town last night [pic]
    Posted by on Dec 12th, 2012

It’s 12/12/12 today so let’s just roll with the crazy sh*t hey. At about 8.30pm yesterday plenty of folks in Cape Town and surrounding areas  reported seeing a strange lit up cloud-like object that lasted for several minutes in the night sky. The word UFO was tossed around and this image was captured by Marilie de Kock.

UFO cape town

Mmmm…very stronge that.

Here’s another pic that’s not as clear.

ufo cape town

Folks spotted it over Franschhoek, Gansbaai and Storms River as well.

Here’s what folks in Cape Town said on Twitter.

ufo cape town

Spicey.

[pic via @Mariliedekock and @wicusvdm ]

UPDATE: here’s video footage of the strange light spotted over Noordhoek captured by user @OrganicToad  .

ufo cape town
    Getting spicier this.

UPDATE: two plausible explanations have been put forward -

1: the SA astronomincal society says.. “If you saw two bright lights with “plumes” coming out from of them “like fireworks” following each other across the sky in the CT / Wellington region on the evening of Dec 11 then you were watching the US military’s OTV 3 spaceplane and its rocket launcher”

2: NASA says it was the asteroid Toutatis that flew by on December 12 and 13, about 4.3 million miles from Earth.

You May Also Like:

Manie says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

I was driving between N7 and R27 on my way to Melkbosstrand when i saw something that started as a light and then changed into a funnel-like shape before it looked like it split into two to three pieces with no object in sight. After a while it was only a smoke cloud hanging in the air and later disappeared.

Jasper Kotzé says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

FINALLY PHOTOS!!! Me and one of my friends saw it too , OMG It was so weird!! like a cloud sphere that was glowing yellow…and then it turned into that first photo moving east.

lizl says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

YES!!! and you will not believe it! my dad in De Aar in the Karoo saw it as well! excatly the same time!!!!!!!!!

Alex Kolyvanov says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

Was it not the North Korean launch of the satellite/missile?

Joris says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

Possibly (or just other old space junk), from the pics, vid and this description (http://uforsa.co.za/2012/12/ufo-sighting-in-cape-town-5.html) It seems, to me, to be a 1st of upper stage of a rocket burning up (and like Manie above describes) braking up in the atmosphere.

Ross Golding says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

That’s not a UFO, it’s……………………………………………………………………………………..BATMAN!

marie says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

we saw it too around 8.30pm last night in the northern suburbs of cape town!!!! freaky!!!

Jon says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

I saw the same thing last night in Grotto Bay (30km up the west coast from Melkbos). Thought it was the light of an aeroplane @first, then it changed into a weird vapour/smoke. The vapour / smoke seemed very close to us. It seemed to be moving toward us (east). Anyone got an explanation for this?

Damin says:
    MARTHINUS says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

Saw it in Struisbaai as well. So it was seen quite far.

Neil B says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

Yip , I would love another rational explanation for what my girlfriend and I saw last night

The cloud like shape (but maybe not a cloud as the shadows were not very cloud like & there wasn’t another cloud in the sky) that drifted over signal hill from the camps bay direction at a constant speed at about 8h30ish

Neil B says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

Could it have been a satellite?

Mark says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

Last night we heard that things may get strange on the eve of 12/12/12 – so we watched the mountain. Besides seeing the ‘cloud’ UFO, there was a green light spotted over Devil’s Peak zipping around at impossible speeds, and we had numerous other sightings (5 in total) – above Table Mountain! That were all unexplained anomalies – SOMETHING is happening! It is undeniable.

ashr says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

My friend and his friend saw this on the 11th. Thought it was meteor shower related, but this don’t look like a meteor.

Kim says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

I was driving along Strand beachfront with my family, and we all saw it – followed it along the beach road as it moved west-east (against prevailing SE wind) across False Bay. But… this is not the first we’ve seen over the bay. My son and I both saw something even stranger one night about 3 years ago – beyond strange. What we at frist thought was a small aircraft (3 bright lights in a triangle shape) suddenly went all Star Trek and “warp-speed Mr Scott” – shooting at amzing speed directly upwards, leaving a brief light-trail behind.
    A couple of months ago a friend of my mother saw one over False bay too – she called her whole family to look and they all agreed – definite UFO . Five lights in triangle shape, that cruised oer the bay, changed colour, then broke into 2 groups, then shot off south.

Nige says:

The same cloud lyke UFO was seen at about 20H00 in Northern Cape – Springbok

Monique says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

We saw it in Springbok as well, it was much larger and closer than in the pictures above.

George says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

We were sitting on the patio when this very bright light approached from over the Table View area above the Welgemoed Nature reserve. it appeared to dip a little then the light became less focused and a bit more like an aircraft light when flying through mist, but there was no mist. It was completely silent and proceeded to climb and head in a southerly direction and it was really odd as behind the diffused light there was a very dark shape. We watched it for several minutes before it eventually faded from sight.
    Would love to know whether anyone from the airport knows or saw anything strange as this was obviously quite a large object that would have to have been picked up by the radar as it flew right into the normal flightpaths for Cape Town International.

Willem says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

I fly for one of the local airlines and we were just airborne out of Bloemfontein when I could see it exactly as depicted in the photographs. It dissipated and dimmed over about 5 minutes.

Because of the distance between Cape Town and Bloem and the fact that we could also see it in the Southwest (the same as the Capetonians), means that it had to be in space.

My vote is for some cloud of space debris, or venting of fuel from a spacecraft being lit up by the sun, which was below the horizon for us, but not for the cloud. That also explains the quick dimming as the sun moved below the horizon for the cloud.

Devon says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

this sounds the most credible.

Robin says:

http://www.facebook.com/SAAOnews its been identified

Rory says:
    Alien Bob says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

Most likely the North Korean satellite or space junk, as some have already said.

ChemE says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

I believe this may be orbital dark matter (micro black holes) orbiting into the Earth. They get absorbed by the Earth or orbit through and around it triggering weather and seismic events. No joke. They glow hot and can also collapse gasses arpund them.

Hermann says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

Tuesday at about 6pm me and my wife have seen an “L” shaped look like cloud but was in straight lines and at front of the L shape was like an cloud like it was like moving fast and i did not see any clouds near.very strange look akward

Suzy says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

My friend and I also saw it, at about 8.30 pm, from Franschoek. I noticed it because it had what looked like bright headlights, facing us, from the sky, but the light emitted was in a triangle shape, and it appeared to have a haze/mist all around it. It moved steadily across the sky, and the mist diffused, to a crescent-moon shape and then to nothing at all. The lights disappeared too.

December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

[...] acordo com o site sul africanolifeissavage.com, inúmeras pessoas avistaram um OVNI nos redores da Cidade do [...]

werner says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

I also saw it that day was unvbelievble!Nasa is lying

werner says:

The end is near

Werner says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

fluf you nasa, you can suck my … that was not a asteroid or shuttle … this was to close to earth…

December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

I spotted aswell it was the 11 of Dec my friends and I was on the top of camps bay just before you turn into signal hill and saw the exact same image hovering towards us it seemed very freeky at first like a cloud moving at a slow pace i took photos of it.

Believe says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

True & honest level headed friend and her husband 3 am in the middle of the Karoo past Kimberly, dark, clear night, Blue Light over their car and split on both sides of vehicle and and electronic *bliip/beep* in the car, Got to say its got my mind racing, certainly no astroid or rocket launch..

mark says:
    December 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

I live in tableview and on 3 seperate occasions have seen red orb like objects in the sky and no they are not chinese lanterns the first time I saw one it flew right over me and my friends , I have never seen anything like that before they dont make a noise and mobe at quiet a speed , I saw 2 of them lastnight again tried to take photos and a video with my phone but they were too far away this time would like to know if other people in northern suburbs see these red objects