• Revving muscle car ploughs into crowd at car show in Cape Town [video]
    Posted by on Aug 20th, 2012

6 people were  injured over the weekend at the Inner City American Muscle Car show held at Heritage Square, Cape Town, when a revving Chev Firenza surrounded by onlookers suddenly ploughed into the crowd.

Crazy footage of onlookers standing close to the car before it leaps forward pushing them toward the fence near &Union. Heard it was an awesome event apart from that chop who needs to learn how to use a handbrake and not put it into first gear while revving the engine.

Wow..crazy that.

Cape Town

Anyone have more details?

And we totally need more shows like this around the city. Love me some vintage cars.

You May Also Like:

WHAT THE HELL BATMAN? O_O

Kazza says:
    August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Maybe I’m not man enough to understand this, but can someone remind me again what the interest is in staring at a stationary engine while it revs? I’m sure I even saw someone pull out a camper chair to enjoy the moment further.

August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Freaky flying F### , hope that driver of that car is held accountable for endangering those victims !

hectic hectic !

Gambit says:
    August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Who did this reporting. There is no such thing as a Ford Firenza dumbass… It’s a CHEV Firenza, but if you really want to get technical it actually a Chev Can Am. Anyways, hope no one was seriously injured.

August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Easy dude! My bad…im not a car expert. Thought it was Ford. Have changed it.

Gambit says:
    August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

ok cool.. sorry for going off at you..

August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

No worries..thanks for pointing it out:)

MadAsHell says:
    August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

I saw this happen in front of my eyes. What a absolute idiot. What part of car SHOW didnt he understand. Thats why there are such hectic safety rules at racetracks. With an open bonnet, anything could have happened at high revs. I understand it was an accident but if he wasnt showing off, people wouldnt have been hurt. What if there was a child or pram (which there were loads of there) near the front of that car. I hope he is held accountable for in the highest regard!!!!!!!

August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

What happened to the people that were hit by this invalid ? Are they ok now?

Anton Rollino says:
    August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Ugly incident, trust everybody is relatively OK. Not to put too fine a point on it, but the car is a Chev Firenza with a twin turbo V8 and has been built specifically for drags. This does not make it a Can Am of which only 100 were built. Genuine, unmolested Can Am’s have a specific engine, specific gearbox, drive train etc, as well as a few other bits and bobs that make them uniquely Chev Firenza Can Am’s. There are only around 30 or so of the original Can Am’s left anywhere.

Patty says:
    August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Dude this is a fucken 1000hp car. Obviously you don’t know shit about cars, so keep your stupid comments to yourself. This is a drag car and the owner didn’t want to rev it, he simple started it to keep the car warm for when we leave, then the CROWD started saying he must rev the car. At first he didnt want to but after continuous nagging, he obliged. Because this car has such a big motor, it shakes when it revs, therefore it shook into gear by ACCIDENT!! Other cars also revved their engines on the day, the owner was just unlucky.

August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Dammit…calm your shit! It’s just my 2 cents so im saying it…much like you have politely assumed i know nothing about cars. Your opinion.

And if that is indeed a 1000hp car and revving the engine mildy caused it to slip into gear then you have probably just made the case for negligence should one of those injured decide to proceed with legal action.

Peter says:
    August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Patty, geez dude, easy. Breathe. It’s going to be OK.

Chris says:
    August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

“the owner didn’t want to rev it, he simple started it to keep the car warm for when we leave, then the CROWD started saying he must rev the car. At first he didnt want to but after continuous nagging, he obliged.”
    So you at a gun show and the crowd nags you to shoot it and eventually you oblige and it goes off and you kill a few people… It’s all cool then, because its obviously not your fault. The crowd told you to do it.

anon says:
    August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Freak accident. Car is auto, not manual. Car was in park ie not in mobility gear. Stupid people and hipsters makin stupid assumptions. Sensationalism over a freak accident. Car wasn’t revving high at all. Ive seen worse things happen in people’s driveways. Thankfully no serious injuries. Yes perhaps it was wrong to start the car and rev it a little, but dont blow things out of proportion. Rather stick to saving trees and puppies….

August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Come now…You say i’m making stupid assumptions and yet you clearly assume i’m stupid and a hipster. Negative on both counts i’m afraid (ok maybe the stupid part is contentious), but the ‘hipster’ assumption!!! That’s some cold shit you just said.

anon says:
    August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Savage, cold shit speaker again :) Dude i just think your initial “reporting of the incident” was a haphazard guess of what transpired. You’re a bit sensitive about being labelled a hipster as i am about your “accurate reporting, nay, assumption of the incident and your ignorant (i don’t mean this as a stab at your intelligence) description of what that “chop” was doing is a figment of your imagination. Assumptions arent cool are they? Please, just don’t make assumptions, it might increase the readership of your blog but its unfair to almost slander someone who made a mistake. Is your track record that of a saint, would you like your reputation damaged should you make an error and someone bring your name down by misrepresenting the cause of your actions? Your blog is pretty cool and in all likelyhood you will disregard my comment, but please keep to facts, leave the smacktalk to the tabloids. Sorry if i offend you, i am also entitled to an opinion. Cheers

August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Ha! Why didn’t you just say this in the first place!

If you’re you’re a regular reader then you will mostly likely gather that the majority of the time my two cents is just that…two cents. Watched the video and wrote what i thought happened. Took me all of 5 minutes to have my say and then move along. A haphazard guess of what transpired is pretty much how it would be described. You are correct that very little thought went into how it would affect the driver especially if you say he made a mistake. Although in a previous comment the fact was brought up that the revving car shook the gear into drive.

Either way i would never disregard a comment which raises a valid point. I may not have the time to be a bona fide journalist or news source that does thorough fact checking or have the time to respond to every comment, but if it’s obvious that someone goes through the effort to comment in an engaging manner then i’d almost certainly respond in a similar way.

At the end of the day..it’s just a blog and i have a similar approach to most things i write about. I woulda said the same thing had the incident occured in a different city or country and i had no idea what happened. I woulda had a field day had it been a female or Joburg guy or a hipster. Just kidding ladies dont be mad.

As for the sensitivty to being called a hipster..that’s also just a running joke (see above). Love me some hipster as much as love all the stereotypes i have a go at. All very lighthearted really and par for the course.
    And i am in no way whatsoever offended by your comment. Water off a ducks crack and if you had a look at my inbox you would be rather amused at the dozens of emails i get from tannies in crazyburg defending Steve Hofmeyr or comrades in Malemaville asking me to get my facts straight and stop calling him a moron.

Thanks though for making your comment, really appreciate it (no sarcasm).Without feedback like yours the website wouldnt attain its primary function..to throw my opinion out there and get people talking.

Peace

Mr Happy says:
    August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Wow, car people are a grumpy lot! No wonder there is so much of road rage. I’m gonna go save me a puppy…

August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

Grumpy lot indeed! If this was a discussion around a braai I doubt the atmosphere would be as fierce. My two cents (for what it’s worth) if the dudes with the car (flippin kiff btw) knew that the high powered motor shakes when revved, and they were being badgered to do so, shouldn’t they have asked that nobody stand directly in front of the car while being revved? Just saying…

steve says:
    August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

this car…sorry Chev Firenza Can Am with lots of bits and bobs….belongs in the naughty corner. bad chevvy.

Kenny Nagel says:
    August 08, 2012 at 10:15 am

I took the video clip and my wife and I helped the injured, who had mainly scratches and grazed hands ankles and legs….I originally counted 6 , but 3 got up and walked away and 3 remained down,… after a bit of first aid out and jokingwith the guys…etc …one went off to hospital to have his leg checked….

See my FB album on American Muscle cars on https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.393748654018009.89680.100001486332115&type=3

It was an accident…but anyway it made some interesting action for the afternoon…and everyone came off fine eventually….

Ja I think more of these shows must be done…keep tabs on Detroit Vintage Garage on FB.. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Detroit-Vintage-Garage/183787701654683?ref=ts