No Banner to display

Masterchef SA winner, Deena Naidoo, says MNET lied about the promised R8 million prize
Posted by on Jul 27th, 2012

Masterchef winner, Deena Naidoo, feels that MNET were not honest when they publicised that prizes worth R8 million were going to the winner. Naidoo said he was promised his very own restaurant, but since winning the reality cooking show earlier in the week he has found out that he will only run the restaurant 5 times a month for two years.

M-Net’s Ingrid Engelbrecht denied the perception was created that the winner would own his or her own restaurant.

I just went to the Masterchef SA website now and the winners prize section still says the following.

I dunno hey…if i was the winner i’d be grumpy as f**k that they led me to believe i was getting my own restaurant and then pulled that ‘only for two years story’  afterwards.

That’s like promising a kid he’s gonna get an icecream if he does his homework and then when you give it to him you say he can only have two licks then he has to give it back.

“M-Net advertised last December that it had partnered with Tsogo Sun to give the winner of MasterChef SA one of the biggest reality show prizes in the history of SA television.

“Over R8 million  worth of prizes are awaiting the amateur chef whose culinary skills will impress the judges the most after 18 episodes of brutal contestant eliminations,” the broadcaster posted on its website in December.

“The winner would receive cash, a car, a trip to Italy, a sommelier course, one-on- one master classes from an award-winning cellar master, wine and, a first for local reality shows: his or her very own restaurant!” [Citizen]

Ya..looks like iffy false advertising that hey…what do you reckon?

UPDATE: Deena Naidoo claims he was misquoted and MNET released an official response to the Citizen article saying it is factually incorrect that Naidoo was disappointed with his prize and in fact he knew the conditions and option while the series was still being filmed

‘Deena elected a joint venture operation where he will share in the restaurant profits and partake in the rebranding and relaunch of the restaurant. This will run for two years. This decision was based on the fact that Deena, his wife and children are unable to relocate to Johannesburg at this time.’

Read the rest of the statement HERE.

July 07, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I wouldn’t be happy either.

It mystifies me how it suddenly boils down to perception.

Surely the Terms and Service should be understood by a normal person speaking English so that no sudden `hiccups’ occur later on.

Rob says:
July 07, 2012 at 2:11 pm

The prize has to be understood in the context of the competition – i.e. a competition for aspiring chefs. Many chefs have their own restaurants. Very few chefs OWN their own restaurants!

Tania says:
July 07, 2012 at 2:11 pm

That is SHOCKING but not surpring – M-Net always have a way out of what they promise! What makes up the R8-million then?

July 07, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Wow. I find it staggering that a high profile organisation such as MNET would renege on a prize that was so widely publicized. Little wonder Deena is desperately disappointed – the actual prize’s hardly a sniff of what was originally promised. A swatch of off-white linen when you were expecting a full leather suite. Poor show, Masterchef… here’s hoping there’s some lovely legal loophole that sees the Media24 empire paying what they promised!

MPW says:
July 07, 2012 at 2:11 pm

SHOCKING. Sue them.

amith says:
July 07, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Is it because he is indian, he is taken for granted!

Nash says:
July 07, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Totally disgusting. Take them to court and sue the daylights out of MNet
I can’t see anything to the value of R8bars. Unless the
Car is worth R5mill. Lol. I would be pissed as well

Alison says:
July 07, 2012 at 2:11 pm

The Citizen responded to the M-Net press release the same day it was posted. Here’s an extract:

“We find claims by Naidoo that he has never been disappointed with his prize package unfortunate and disappointing to the extreme, as this is in direct contradiction to what he told our reporter in person on 26 July, and which was recorded in her notes.”

read the full response: http://www.citizen.co.za/citizen/content/en/citizen/local-news?oid=298647&sn=Detail&pid=334&The-Citizen-stands-by-story

Graham says:
July 07, 2012 at 2:11 pm

That is so wrong . I think they should publish what the 8 million comprises of. Sue them

PRASHANTH says:
July 07, 2012 at 2:11 pm

SUE SUE SUE THE BLOODY IDIOTS I AM SURE IF IT WAS ANY OTHER NATIONALITY THEY WOULD OF BEEN GIVEN THE RESTAURANT AS PROMISED BUT BECAUSE AN INDIAN AND COLORED REACHED THE FINALS THEN THE RULES CHANGED . WE AS AN INDIAN RACE WILL NEVER EVER SUPPORT TSOGO SUN EVER AGAIN , UNLESS DEENA IS GIVEN WHAT HE WAS PROMISED “HIS VERY OWN RESTAURANT . WE AS INDIANS WILL TWEET , BBM ,FACEBOOK , EMAIL TO MAKE IT KNOWN THAT TSOGO SUN ARE LIARS AND SHOULD NOT BE SUPPORTED .

Leave a comment