No Banner to display

Best of Cape Town 2012- The People’s Choice
Posted by on Mar 30th, 2012

Right…been thinking about a new page for the blog and finally decided to put it in motion. So listen up because it involves you fine folks from Cape Town and the rest of South Africa.

In a nutshell…i have asked two legends in @concierge_ryan (if you want it, can dream it or afford it, he can get it for you) and @Jodenecoza (founder of #followSA) to help me establish a crowd sourced list of the best Cape Town has to offer. Basically a go-to list for anyone wanting to know where in Cape Town they can find for example the best burger, or pizza or coffee or place that plays the best old school rock music etc. Now i know what you’re gonna say…there are already lists like that or restaurant reviews on several websites. Here’s the thing though…they are all made by so called ‘experts’ in the industry and are seldom unbiased. What we are trying to achieve is a people’s choice of what the best places are through social networks like Twitter and Facebook and here on Life is Savage.

Because why?…..locals know best that’s why.

I’m tired of reading that the best restaurant in Cape Town is blah blah according to some foreign magazine or website. What the f**k do they know? I want insider info..the word on the street.

And if you think this is gonna be a list of only food then think again…i want to make it as extensive and quirky as possible. So future categories will include things like best bar to pick up cougars or cheapest drinks or best sunset bar or best looking staff . And we can even get crazy and throw in some completely off the wall topics like best gatsby or slap chips or best place to find a sugar daddy. The wilder the topic the better…where in CT would you go the best massage with a happy ending etc? People wanna know stuff like that!

So every week i’ll throw out a new category and see what folks say on the social networks and on here. I’ll give it a week and then post the results in a top 5 or top 10 list.Each place that made the list will include contact details and website links if they have one.  The list can be updated at anytime depending on whether places close or new ones open up.

So without further messing about here’s the first one. Let’s start off easy.

Where in Cape Town would you go for the best sushi?

Feel free to be specific so as to take into consideration price, originality, variety on offer, size of venue etc. This is only gonna work if as many folks as possible throw in their 2 cents. So next time you wanna try a new sushi place you know where to look for suggestions..given by locals.

If you’re gonna make a Twitter suggestion please use the hashtags #BestofCapeTown2012 and #bestsushi along with your suggestion.

So don’t be shy….let’s hear it.

Mr Happy says:

Codfather

Grant says:
March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

The lunch time special at Sevruga In the Waterfront Is by far my favourite. Huge platter of 26 pieces I think. Rolls, sashimi, roses, etc all for R120. Go there all the time for lunch and the service is awesome.

anib says:

well there is already #capeadvice and you can ask @capetown

March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Yes indeed…if you remember about two weeks ago i used the #capeadvice tag to find exactly the best sushi place in CT!! Its what spawned the idea for this post!! The list would go hand in hand with the recommendations that come with #capeadvice

Sasha Groenewald says:

Willoughbys without a doubt

Mr Happy says:
March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Hey Sasha, Willoughbys certainly has great sushi but doesn’t eating in a shopping mall bother you? I really cant stand eating in a shopping mall and just curious to know if Im alone on this..!

Chris says:
March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Mr happy sounds more like mr grumpy he asked what is the best sushi and willoughbys is the best despite its rather odd location. Try the creamy rock shrimp maki and the spider roll. Hmmm that will make you happy again.

Mr Happy says:
March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Hey, why you gotta call me grumpy Mr Chris… And what’s with all the semantics… Savage did ask to be specific and take into consideration venue, etc. Thus, Willoughbys is a kak place to eat. But just my opinion. Others seem to love it…. Now, Wakame may be way overpriced but what a great venue… Codfather, for me, ticks most of the boxes…. By the way, I think I have an ellipsis problem………

6000 says:
March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Sake House in Claremont. Some amazing deals and really imaginative sushi spin-offs.

konfytbekkie says:
March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

In Cape Town and surrounds, you generally have two kinds of sushi places:

the ones with great specials (and often only mediocre sushi) and the ones with exceptional sushi but that don’t necessarily use gimmicky specials to attract crowds.

If you really want the best sushi in the Western Cape, you must travel to Stellenbosch and find a little hole-in-the-wall place called Genki.

Owned by Arata Koga (previously of Tank, when Tank was still all that, back in the day) the charming little restaurant is simple, stylish and focused purely on serving the freshest and best sushi you will find. Genki’s speciality is Japanese Tapas and traditional sushi, but it also caters for the more western tastes with salmon roses and California rolls.

The supposed ‘trendy CT places can pack up their pretentious vibes and go home. If you want sushi, there is only Genki.

That is all.

Emlingtonpost says:
March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I would definitely say Willougby’s however Sawaddee on Rheede Street (near Kloof) has an ex Willoughby chef and makes “Chefs Special roll” amaaazing stuff!

Carrott says:

Hello…

I did tweet, but because I loooove sushi I have opinions and things 😛

Best sushi restaurant hands down in all of Cape Town (vibey restaurant, imaginative menu and deliciousness): Wasabi at Constantia Village

Best range of interesting sushi: Sake House Claremont but I would suggest doing a takeaway because the atmosphere of the restaurant is crappy.

Best sushi specials with decent not kak sushi: Sake at Sable Square in Milnerton and Sushi Zone on Strand Street.

@konfytbekkie, Next time I am in Stellenbosch will def try Genki, sounds delish thanks!

konfytbekkie says:

You will love it!
Agree with you on Sake House too. Great sushi at decent prices, perfect for the mid-week sushi munchies :)

nick says:
March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Fugu Sushi in Wembley Square – Half price every week night between 5-7pm. cheap and fresh.

Tayrene says:

BEST EVER is Maz Sushi Bar
Greenpoint

Wedaad says:
March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Okay so I agree with Mr happy, Willoughbys has great Sushi but the location does somewhat bother me.
2nd best best is Sawadee off Kloof- not the fanciest set up but awesome sushi!
Lastly, Balducci at the Waterfront does some fine sushi too :)

Helmar says:
March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I prefer vegetarian sushi, and the one that I liked the most was at Takumi, Mr Minato’s new place in Park Rd. It’s very noisy though.

Back then when I ate dead animals, I enjoyed Willoughbys, despite the location.

That said, thanks to all contributors for the pointers to other great sushi places.

March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I dig that take away, sit down kind of vibe in the Waterfront. Good quality and good pricing. It is called Caviar and is the group that started Sevruga and Beluga!

Believe it or not SPAR in Sea Point also has a beast female sushi chef and their prices and quality are right up there!

March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Yo Eastern Fusion in Welgelegen, Parow has the best value-for-money sushi. And the quality is always good. They are not so well known outside this part of the Northen Suburbs, maybe because they are situated in the middle of a residential area.
The restaurant is quite big and has a smoking section and separate bar area with flat screen tv’s everywhere.
The Prawn Salad and Salmon Roses is the best I’ve tried anywhere.
If you want good quality sushi at very reasonable prices, this place is a must.
Well, that is if you willing to look past the bad decor and most often, very poor service.

Welgelegen Ctr, Malmesbury Rd, Parow
021 558 9888

Tracy Scott says:
March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I would have to agree wholeheartedly with konfytbekkie, Genki is the absolute best best best Sushi in SA, never mind Cape Town. Everyone should definitely try it!! Worth the drive!!

Tas_Devil says:

Willloughby or Action Sushi

March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Willloughby! A must for whenever I go down to the V and A In Cape Town.

Jo says:
March 03, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Xiang Yuan In Sea Point has the best sushi and a R99 all you can eat buffet menu that includes sushi platters, Dim Sum options and even sweet and sour pork etc.