No Banner to display

About that CCTV footage of the SA minibus taxi deliberately knocking down a pedestrian [NSFW video]
Posted by on Mar 6th, 2012

Ok so i saw this on 2oceansvibe yesterday and wasn’t gonna post my own story, but it’s a slow day on the interwebs and after watching this again earlier i need to throw in my 2 cents and vent a little because quite honestly several things in this video of a road rage incident in SA caught on CCTV made me loose my sh*t about South African tendancies.

It’s gonna sound insensitive, but…

F**k that pedestrian and his slow-ass nonchalant attitude when crossing the road.

F**k that taxi driver for driving like a prick and everything else he does in the video.

F**k those two bystanders for watching the entire incident and not doing a goddamn thing.

F**k that lady who climbed out of the taxi and then gets back in after the driver kicks the dude in the face.

If you havn’t already seen it then here’s the CCTV footage, but be warned it may offend sensitive viewers.

Seriously…this is the kind of sh*t that makes the rest of the world look at South Africa and shake their head at how backwards we can be as a nation. Do we really want our kids to grow up in a country that carries on like a bunch of assholes who don’t give a f**k about their fellow citizens.

And that pedestrian is not the innocent party in this whole video either. My apologies to him, but im sick and tired of people crossing the road assuming they have the right of way and ignoring oncoming traffic. And it’s not only drunk people. I drive down Sea Point Main Rd pretty much daily and it blows my mind at the audacity of people crossing the road. What gives you the right to assume that i’m gonna slow down because your lazy ass with a sense of entitlement thinks you have the right of way? Sick of that sh*t.

And those two bystanders…oh my f**k. They just stood there…i’m suprised they didn’t get some popcorn and pull up a chair. They didn’t even take a single step forward to help that dude or at the very least take down the license plate registration. Same goes for the lady and everyone in the taxi who did f**k all. She did get out, but then casually got back in…i’m not even sure now if she wanted to help the pedestrian or get in on the action.

As for the taxi driver himself…dude, you are the exact reason why people in this country have so much hatred for each other. Your cowardly actions and clear lack of fear for authorities is utterly disgraceful and yet unsurprising.

South Africans as a people who have had to endure such difficulties in the past need to catch a f**king wake up. This sort of behaviour must not be tolerated at all costs. We need to stand up and face people like that taxi driver. We need to make it clear that such behaviour cannot be allowed. Why are we letting a  few dictate the actions of many…why???????????????????????????????

As much as i want to rip out that drivers eyeballs and skull f**k him, i know that’s not the right thing to do. It would make me feel better, but then he’d just be angrier…and blind, but that’s not the point. I’d rather focus my attention on all the other people involved. If that pedestrian had the courtesy to cross at traffic light when it was green then this whole thing could have been avoided. If all the other people in the video stood up and acted together the driver would never get away with such actions.

Come now people…this is some sad sh*t.

I don’t wanna live in a country where i feel like everyone is looking out for their own ass.

I wanna live in country where i know you got my back.

tara says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

Totally agree with you. I am just so effing happy that it wasn’t a race issue. The way those two fuckwits DIDNT act, really made me worry about the lack of empathy and compassion in our country. This is why kids are getting stabbed at school – no compassion, no humanity. Nothing.

March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

Made me so mad that video. And about the race thing…as much as people won’t say it in the public realm i bet you that many folks in SA watching that video will be thinking about race.

Karl says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

Race thing? Aren’t they the same race?

Andy says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

Those people standing by and watching were not born without any capacity for empathy, they just know that if you mess with a taxi driver, you will die, literally – other taxi drivers will get in on the act if they see you accosting one of their own, and they ask no questions, they just donner whoever is involved and is not a taxi driver … ask any person in Mzantsi who knows anything about taxi drivers and their deplorable behaviour!!! Of course, one is not condoning this passive behaviour by the bystanders, but it needs to be viewed in context. My two cents worth.

Carrott says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

What the F**K?!?!?! I am actually in shock. Why the hell did no one help that dude?!?! Was there any feedback from the people that posted the video? This reminds me of the vid from China with the little girl.

I don’t like this world anymore :'(

How can people have so little compassion for their fellow human beings??

Jesus.

MissDaisySA says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

This is absolutely shocking and so very sad!!

People don’t want to get involved out of fear, but what if one day you are that one person that needs help??

So much for a sense of community.

March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

agree with everything you said – from the pedestrians (it’s a ROAD, look at ONCOMING TRAFFIC at least) to the bystanders to that bat-shit crazy taxi driver… a very wtf video. depressing.

BarryBru says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

OMG! I couldn’t believe what I was seeing here! Wrong on so many levels. Indicative of so many things that are wrong with our society. The biggest thing that got to me was the fact that no one stepped in to intervene or assist. Truly disgusting!

konfytbekkie says:

Yoh.
Also agree 100% with everything you said. Including the bit about the pedestrian not hurring-the-ef-up. I’m not saying he had it coming, obviously nobody should be hit by a vehicle, but it was bound to happen. These slow-ass pedestrians can be infuriating, especially when they glance back at you, knowing you can only sit there and wait for them to finish crossing (well…unless you drive a taxi, it seems). I’ve spent many a moment dreaming up elaborate plans of vehicle modifications that will allow one to deal with such loiterers without hurting them, such as a quick spray with a high pressure water stream…

But I digress.

As for the bystanders… double yoh. Impossible to see their expressions on the CCTV camera but I’d bet they look bemused at best. As a society we have become awfully desensitized and lost all sympathy and empathy. Maybe it will make the rest of us, who are so outraged by what we see in the video, work that much harder to bring some compassion back into our country.

*SMH*

hmmm? says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

okaaaay so what can be done?? everyone complains but there seems to be nothing we can do? ya we can write down plates or whatever, but the police don’t give a shit haha. Baker taxi company (for example): the owner checks to see that the drivers have a “license’ then he rents them the car for the day for a fee so they can advertise for him.. if taxis can’t be controlled by the law, maybe the companys who supply them can?

Kirsty says:

South Africa: The Complacent Edition

Helen says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

Well said! Made me sick to my stomach!

Shuayb says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

OMW! WTH is wrong with that taxi driver! flip man! That is seriously disgusting!

Laurence says:

2 words … IGNORANCE and ARROGANCE

Roland says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

Taxi drivers a selfish cocks!

Gary says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

Unbelievable, and yet sadly, not surprising. The only innocent party in this was the CCTV camera capturing this abominable behavior.
Pedestrians in JHB will intentionaly slow down when they see you coming, while j walking or crossing during a red light. Like they are waiting for an accident so they can probably claim.
And then the taxi drivers are ALWAYS above the law. I think the police here are too afraid to enforce their democratically given right to arrest or pursue these road criminals.
The most frustrating thing is that we, as citizens, are only too willing to stand by and enjoy the entertainment, and not do anything…myself included.
I am ashamed to be a south african.
There is NO brotherhood here.

Stan says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

LOL…. i would say that pedestrian had it coming , but shit i wouldn’t bump the pedestrian again and kick him in his face dumn ass taxi driver………..

Carrott says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

aaaaaand, it seems the driver got off….. (well, “provisionally withdrawn”)

Renegade says:
March 03, 2012 at 11:13 am

Commenting from behind my desk in an office in London…..I am ashamed to call myself South African when this is the way South Africans behave.
Siesa!