No Banner to display

Whale breaches onto Cape Town yacht [PICS]
Posted by on Jul 21st, 2010

I’m not sure whether or not i should call bullsh*t on this story because the pictures are just that unbelievable.

Apparently a Southern Right Whale recently breached onto a yacht in Table Bay, Cape Town and it was photographed.

whalebreach

"Nemo..noooooooooooooooooooo"

The people on the boat had this to say:

“It was quite scary,” said Paloma Werner, who had been out sailing with her boyfriend and business partner, Ralph Mothes, of the Cape Town Sailing Academy.

“We thought the whale was going to go under the boat and come up on the other side. We thought it would see us.” [more at iol]

Here’s what the yacht looked like after the whale did a swan dive.

whalebreach2

Photo: Portfolio Travel Blog

I ran both those images through some error level analysis tests and they both came up clean.

Imagine going out for a sneaky little sunset cruise… next thing you know..BOOM.. a whale decides its a good time to make you crap your pant.

What do you reckon?

Good times.

Bill says:
July 07, 2010 at 5:13 am

So who took the picture? And no comment from them? Odd, isn’t it? I’m skeptical.

July 07, 2010 at 5:13 am

I felt the same Bill. It doesn’t say who took the picture. I’ll try find out. The couple on the boat did comment though and the rest of the interview can be found in the link at iol.co.za
My biggest issue is the fact that there is only a before and after pic. If you have a decent camera and a once in a lifetime situation like that happens then why didn’t you keep taking pictures of the whale when it landed on the yacht?
Outstanding none-the-less

Tom says:
July 07, 2010 at 5:13 am

You also need to wonder why there are no pictures of the whale on the boat.

Vaughan says:
July 07, 2010 at 5:13 am

I am also skeptical.. I would say its fake for these reasons:

1 – They don’t mention who took the photo’s or why someone was photographing the location of the yacht.. I think capturing something like that on photo would be just as amazing as something like that happening!

2 – The person on the boat doesn’t seem to be reacting to the huge whale that is just about to land on his boat, which makes me think that it could be photoshopped

3 – There are no images of the whale on the boat or images of the remaining whale blubber on the boat

4 – Judging by the angle of the whale it looks like its coming down on to the side of the boat rather than landing on it in the center.. in the news story the people say that the whale was on the boat for a while

July 07, 2010 at 5:13 am

Apparently the photographer was taking pictures of the whale breaching between the two boats. It got closer and closer and the final breach onto the boat was unseen by the skipper. Lets wait and see. If its shopped then they did a pretty decent job of it .

Silverado Mom says:
July 07, 2010 at 5:13 am

MSN has the story and gives some extra details. You can see the guy in the reddish orange shirt in the second photo. Yes there was blubber and barnacles on the boat in the aftermath. The guy went behind the wheel and he told his girlfriend to go to the other side of the boat. The pics were taken by a nearby boat.

Terry says:
July 07, 2010 at 5:13 am

I admit the first photo could have been faked — but not the second. Other sources say a movie was being taken by the witness, where is it?
I vote for it being genuine.

July 07, 2010 at 5:13 am

[…] mess with whales ! Whale breaches yacht….scary stuff! Full story… Whale breaches onto Cape Town yacht [PICS] | Life is Savage Reply With Quote + Reply to Thread « Previous Thread | […]

Carol says:
July 07, 2010 at 5:13 am

I saw the video posted online at the same time this story first came out a couple days ago and it exactly matches the pictures, showing the whale coming out of the water and the landing on the boat.
If you type the following into Google, the video will come up with the news article:
‘bbc news july 21 whale on boat’
Definately genuine.